Tranny Trouble,, Need some Advice

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down under the truck on the trans. cover is a vent tube,, should there be some trans. fluid dripping from that or is it just a vent? I'am dripping some trans fluid from there. :dunno

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggeston's? I belive this is the cover over the T/C Their is a metal vent ( or drain ) tube that sticks out about 3 inch

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
There should be no fluid dripping any where from the tranny.

Fluid dripping out of the cover is a sign of a over heated or failed pump seal.
The factory gray seal is prone to leakage when the tranny over heats.

There is an after market seal to correct this problem. Precision #16601EV.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trans. fluid should be in the e40d? What color is it? Whatever i'am leaking it's more of a clear fluid. I'll try to get a pic. of it on the weekend when it warm's up, to cold now for this old boy to be crawling under the truck! Also whats up with the price of diesel,,, $3.75 gal. here :dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no cover on the tranny, unless your talking about the dust cover on the bottom that covers the flywheel and torque convertor. If the front seal on the tranny is leaking, the fluid would be Red. Check your fluid level when the tranny is HOT, it should NOT be above the full mark. Smell the fluid, smells burnt change it, or it will kill it. Use only Mercon V or equal in synthetic ATF.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is sort of a dust cover now that you mention that, and it has a metal vent tube coming out it,, little by little i get some dripping coming out of the vent tube,and it's not red. Wonder if i've been running the truck all this time since i've owned it with the wrong juice in it, i've never had to put any in. When it warms up outside i'am going to have to check it out better. It was a jasper rebuild in it when i bought the truck. I had 110,000 mile on truck when i bought it and now i have 140,000 mile. It has the banks trans. command hooked up to, were might the contol box or whatever be for that? :dunno

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It is sort of a dust cover now that you mention that, and it has a metal vent tube coming out it,, little by little i get some dripping coming out of the vent tube,and it's not red. Wonder if i've been running the truck all this time since i've owned it with the wrong juice in it, i've never had to put any in. When it warms up outside i'am going to have to check it out better. It was a jasper rebuild in it when i bought the truck. I had 110,000 mile on truck when i bought it and now i have 140,000 mile. It has the banks trans. command hooked up to, were might the contol box or whatever be for that? :dunno

Dust cover (cover). Many names for this piece of tin.:rotflmao

Now it's not red. Then its most likely engine oil. Leaky main seal would be the culprit.

Pull the cover and take a look.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not dark like engine oil, almost looks like #10 weight hyd. oil :dunno

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not dark like engine oil, almost looks like #10 weight hyd. oil :dunno

Well It can only be 4 things: Oil, trans, antifreeze, or diesel.

My guess from that area would be oil, trans or diesel. Since it's not red, then it's not trans. The rear main seal is right there, that could be seeping a bit, so it could be oil. Diesel would have to travel pretty far down (from the valley pan, if that's even leaking) to make it there.

If I remember correctly, it's 3 small 10mm bolts to pull the cover off and get a better look.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put something under there to catch the drips, it may be a serious leak. If it's coolant which is possible, then the rear freeze plug is leaking. Check coolant level in the radiator. Do it now. Let us know ASAP.

Could be diesel fuel also, it will drain down from the valley pan, if the engine is clean on the back it won't wash any grime down and be black.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is sort of a dust cover now that you mention that, and it has a metal vent tube coming out it,, little by little i get some dripping coming out of the vent tube,and it's not red. Wonder if i've been running the truck all this time since i've owned it with the wrong juice in it, :dunno

The wrong juice in where? Engine or tranny?

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'am thinking someone ( before i bought the truck ) put the wrong trans. fluid in it cause when i check the trans. the dipstick show's oil level ok, but it sure aint the red color that it should be. It is more clear and no burnt smell to it. I just wonder if the previous owner may have used some kind of syn. oil or even put the wrong oil in it. I've owned the truck for about 4 yrs. and never had to put any tranny oil in ( i really dont put many miles on it ) Never had any trouble with the tranny till just last week, kept shifting up and down on me,, never leaked any oil till just recently. When it warms up i'am going to be checking it better,, will keep you updated. Could this be the valley pan leaking fuel? It almost looks like diesel fuel leaking. What should i look for to check for that? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thoughts are a return line is leaking diesel into the valley pan. Then it can only run out the back of the bellhousing and down the starter side of the block. If the engine is very clean the fluid will be clear looking and yes... It will smell like diesel. A white paper towel will pick up the fliud and tell you what it is... Are there any wet spots around any injectors.... The trans fluid being clear when you stick the trans has me wondering what fluid is in the trans... Never heard of clear trans fluid....:dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pertaining to the clear liquid that's dripping. Yes there is a clear transmission fluid that they use in farm tractor hydraulic's, comes in 5 gallon buckets and is labled for transmissions also. I used it in my GM bus with the V730 transmission, that could possibly be what he has in his tranny. The V730 is a hugh tranny, weigh's 1100 lbs. torque convertor is 2 ft. in diameter. Runs at 280 degrees temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance