Tranny swap

SDEric

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Currently I am back from the sandbox :draw and have thought about swapping from an auto to a handshaker. I have some cash and need some advice.

First, what has anyone done and should I be talked out of it. I have had diesels with the ZF inside :love: . I prefer the stick, I am concerned with the task.
please advise.
Eric

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youre going to need to do a PCM swap as well.

jvencius

Reaction score
Didn't MADDOG (of 1000 lb/ft fame) swap from a do-it-yourself tranny to an auto? If so, it might be worth getting a hold of him or Brian from BTS to see if they have any ideas how to go about with this project. I read an article about swapping trannys a while back, and IIRC you'll need a new steering column and a whole whole whole lot of other small bits and pieces to go along with the tranny. :eek:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Best bet is find a donor....... You will need.

swing pedal asy { that will prolly also need new bushings}
clutch master and slave cyls {prolly need rebuild}
any dash bracing unique to manuals
chip code change/PCM
steering colum {not nesc but should be done}
front/rear driveshafts
floor pan/shifter/boot/insulation
clutch switch for start/cruise interrupt
reverse light connection/sender
cross member/tranny mount

I'm not sure if the drive shafts use different u-joints for std/auto

I'm also not sure if the turbo down pipe is diff for auto/std.....prolly not cookoo :D LOL

Not sure how far you want to go in the event of re-sale....you will also need to remove the position indicator from the dash....or at least black it out.

I mentioned the steering colum due to the steering wheel lock/key removal lever....once again just in case you put it up for sale and not have it appear to have been butcherd together..........

That should get your grey matter swirling :eek: ;Sweet

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you have to change out the whole wiring harness and PCM, i have swapped some old trucks and a jeep... but i would trade my super duty for one with a manual tranny before i considered convereting it

Ggg

Reaction score
I too recall the article jvencius mentioned. IIRC same harness is used as well as ECM. You just left the auto trans plugs unplugged and the ECM had nobody to talk to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker