Tranny questions

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Tranny questions-Found an 85 4 door 300

Ok,I found a 1985 300 Diesel around 50 miles away.Ad says Body in Good shape,one spot of rust,Runs good under 200K miles,Needs Glow Plugs,Transmission leaks and needs work.$1000.Haven't called about it yet so not sure how bad the rust is or where it is(I figure rocker or behind one of the bumpers being a southern car) or what kinda trouble the tranny is.What do you guys think if I it does run good and the rust is just a small spot that can be easily cut and patched.From the dark picture it looks straight and paint looks shinny but pictures can hide problems.I can get a good low miles tranny for $500 from a junk yard all day long so if it needs replacing it won't be too bad.What should I look for simple fix wise if I do go take a looksy?

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tranny may be a simple issue, such as needing a fluid change/fill (if it shifts slow or the car seems to lack power) or a cable adjustment (if it shifts too rough or flares between shifts). Also, a severe vacuum leak will affect how the tranny shifts. Or, it may not. But, depending on what the problem is, you may still get 100K miles out of the tranny before it fails completely. If it starts in 2nd gear unless you floor it and push the kickdown switch with the pedal, that's normal (I think it was intended as a fuel-saving measure).

As to cancer...the biggest thing to look at are the jack points. Just inside of each wheel well, there's a hole in the subframe where the factory jack's supposed to go into when changing out a tire. If any of these holes are rusty, there's almost certainly structural damage from the rust, and I would use that as a reason to reject the car. My 123 had a rust spot on the body behind each rear wheel well; ugly, but didn't affect anything.

If the body and interior are in good shape, and if she isn't too bad mechanically and is a federal emissions car ('85 cars sold for the California market have a trap oxidizer in the exhaust pipe just behind the turbo, and the air cleaner just in front of the wheel well instead of on top of the turbo), $1000 should be pretty good.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Found out more info.The rust is said to be a small spot on the rear deck beside the rear window.Not sure if it is just surface at this point or to the point of Rot.Gonna check it out Saturday I hope.Says it has been owned by the person family since 87 and never been wrecked since they owned it.Maybe I can offer him $750 and Limp my self home a Benz.Hopefully come this time next year I will have enough paid towards my ranger to be able to sell it and get out from under this thing.

FutureOilBurner

Reaction score
Hey Freight Train,

How did you come out on that '85 300D?

Thanks,
FutureOilBurner