tranny question

Big AL

Reaction score
I have a 97 12 valve with an automatic...I see a lot of torque convertors advertised, anybody have any experience with what any of them...am looking for probably a triple disk with a low 1400 to 1700 stall speed...there also seems to be a pretty good spread on the prices...also I tow a 30' fifth wheel...thanks

Last edited:

thirstyram

Reaction score
I've got a Spec Rite tripple disk in mine. Have'nt towed with it yet but empty it really does put the horsepower to the ground. At first it was kind of a dog till the turbo kicked in, but I turned up the star wheel and it's much better. I don't know the stall speed, but It's the lowest one they make. It has a steel stator and is 90% effecient, Cost $1500. Ouch! Only thing I don't like is, it's a 4wd and it wants to GO cause theres no reduction in the converter. I still like it better than having to tach out the engine to get over an ant hill!

Big AL

Reaction score
Thanks for the input...still haven't done anything about my tranny or torque converter...neither are broke so maybe thats a good thing...there seems to be so many things you can do to these trucks...will check on that brand when the time comes...

thirstyram

Reaction score
I know there are cheaper torque converters available that are just as good or maybe even better. the only reason i went with this one is that it's the one my local tranny builder uses. this way i won't have any problems with them saying the tranny ruined the converter or visa versa. also so i won't have to pay for r and r and shipping if it fails.