tranny jack and removal help please

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, lots of work involved in this swap, I'm almost discouraged now, thank you very much for the pictures and such thorough detail fellas.

I pick up my parts truck this saturday morning, I'll be honest I'm 17 and have never done a job quite this big before, I have no family to help or watch over my shoulder and give me pointers so I will be back in this thread alot, I would like to get my 5 speed in before december.

again thanks for the help guys

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
if you drive it up on a set of four Rhino ramps it'll give the clearance you need. You will be able to just barely sit under there once it's up that high when setting teh flywheel and clutch in.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, lots of work involved in this swap, I'm almost discouraged now, thank you very much for the pictures and such thorough detail fellas.

I pick up my parts truck this saturday morning, I'll be honest I'm 17 and have never done a job quite this big before, I have no family to help or watch over my shoulder and give me pointers so I will be back in this thread alot, I would like to get my 5 speed in before december.

again thanks for the help guys

I did my first clutch job on a 1976 F-100 with no manual and no internet at the same age as you. Imagine the advantage you have! Either that, or I was just too dumb to know what I was getting into, and there wasn't anybody around to tell me I shouldn't try it. :dunno

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha that makes me feel much better.

I just got home and it seems I've run into a major problem with my towing setup

I do not have a bumper hitch its a piece of 3/4" plate welded to my frame with holes for a pintle which I do have its a reese combination pintle with 2 5/16 ball rated for 14k lbs as a pintle load but its only rated for 3k lbs vertical load, which I'm guessing means using the ball.

well my trailer alone weighs 2800 lbs, it has the standard ball reciever on it.

so would I be asking for trouble attempting to drive 4 hours with 9500lbs, on the pintle when it says vertical load 3000lbs?

I do not have any other type of hitch setup or vehicle capable of pulling this truck home =(

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha that makes me feel much better.

I just got home and it seems I've run into a major problem with my towing setup

I do not have a bumper hitch its a piece of 3/4" plate welded to my frame with holes for a pintle which I do have its a reese combination pintle with 2 5/16 ball rated for 14k lbs as a pintle load but its only rated for 3k lbs vertical load, which I'm guessing means using the ball.

well my trailer alone weighs 2800 lbs, it has the standard ball reciever on it.

so would I be asking for trouble attempting to drive 4 hours with 9500lbs, on the pintle when it says vertical load 3000lbs?

I do not have any other type of hitch setup or vehicle capable of pulling this truck home =(
I'm a bit hesitant, but max vertical load and max trailer weight aren't the same. To be on the safe side, suggest you can find someone knowledgeable to actually look the whole tow situation over.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled out the reese box that came with my hitch and hunted for any papers and found one that says, 14,000 lbs with 2 5/16 ball 16,000lbs with pintle and 3,000 lbs vertical load, from reading that I think I will be okay, I asked the guys what they thought about it when I was renting the trailer and they said I should be fine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well when I was 15 I got a 1955 Ford F100 truck with a rod thru the block. Found another motor. Installed same... I had never done anything like that but Dad did point out some issues too. I didn't have a clutch pilot shaft so I aligned the clutch disc with my fingers around the outside of the pressure plate. The small 3 speed trans wouldn't line up so I pressed the clutch arm till the pressureplate released pressure and then the imput shaft fit into the disc...:eek::D I can look back and see what I did wrong but then... It was just adapt and overcome the problem anyway you could... I was young and didn't know anything... But I never forgot anything I learned then either... Now I can't remember if I took my meds or filled the syringes with insulin right after I have taken them..... I guess my mind id full and something new displaces something old in memory.....:dunno:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I pulled out the reese box that came with my hitch and hunted for any papers and found one that says, 14,000 lbs with 2 5/16 ball 16,000lbs with pintle and 3,000 lbs vertical load, from reading that I think I will be okay, I asked the guys what they thought about it when I was renting the trailer and they said I should be fine

You will be fine. You will not see 3k vertical with your set up.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Well when I was 15 I got a 1955 Ford F100 truck with a rod thru the block. Found another motor. Installed same... I had never done anything like that but Dad did point out some issues too. I didn't have a clutch pilot shaft so I aligned the clutch disc with my fingers around the outside of the pressure plate. The small 3 speed trans wouldn't line up so I pressed the clutch arm till the pressureplate released pressure and then the imput shaft fit into the disc...:eek::D I can look back and see what I did wrong but then... It was just adapt and overcome the problem anyway you could... I was young and didn't know anything... But I never forgot anything I learned then either... Now I can't remember if I took my meds or filled the syringes with insulin right after I have taken them..... I guess my mind id full and something new displaces something old in memory.....:dunno:D

Hell im inly 25 and i have that problem! cookoo i would remove the transfer case, the E4OD is a heavy trans. Also, i usually use a motorcycle jack with some wood cribbing when R/R'n a trans. i feel the bigger base, stability and lift height is worth having a little bit more cumbersome jack around. Its also great of removing rears.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little pointer for you. That new flywheel is going to be heavy. The bolt pattern on the crankshaft does not make a complete circle. Get some all thread the same size as the flywheel bolts, at least 2. Put one by the gap, or missing bolt hole on the crankshaft. Put the other one across from that bolt. Now you have 2 pieces of all thread on your crankshaft. Make sure they are 6 inches long. Now lift up your flywheel and set it in place. Remember to line up all of the bolt holes correctly. Install all of your flywheel to crankshaft bolts then remove to two dowel pins you just made and install the last 2 flywheel to crankshaft bolts.

That is much much easier than trying to hold the flywheel and, "feel" the bolt hole to start the bolt.

This method will also help you stab your transmission too. I used 2 pieces of all thread 10 inches long. I installed them on the 2 bellhousing bolt holes in the middle. It made stabing my transmission by myself a helluva lot easier. Once I got my top 2 bellhousing bolts installed I removed the all thread and installed the other 4 bellhousing bolts.

One other little piece of advice, get at least 2 or maybe 4 nuts and fit the all thread. That way if they are tight and you cannot take them out with your fingers you can remove them with the 2 nuts. Simply run one nut up an inch or 2 then run the other nut up to that one. Tighten them against each other. Then use the first nut to loosen and remove the all thread.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You will be fine. You will not see 3k vertical with your set up.

Most definitely not. If you got 3k hanging off the tongue, you would be doing a wheelie :eek: You could put that kind of weight on a gooseneck hitch, but not on a bumper pull. Balance the weight on the trailer axles and you won't have a problem. Just make sure that whatever you have that pintle coupler bolted to will handle whatever weight that you are trying to pull. Those things are rated that high for being mounted to the back of a dump truck.