Tranny Cooler

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
I finally rounded up a good ( cookoo I hope) used E4OD to get my rig back on the road... Its been sitting over a year w/o a tranny and really miss driving it...

In the process of getting it back on the road I want to beef up a few systems and do some repairs...

I am looking to put in an auxillary tranny cooler to help with tranny life...

What set-ups are you guys using / reccomend? What brands, size, type etc... Are you running it inline with the stock one in the radiator or just it by itself. Where did you get your parts from... Anyone have pictures of their set-up?

I am also looking for pictures of tranny temp guage set-ups? I picked up some braided tranny lines as part of the upgrade any one have a source for adapters for the tranny?

Thanks for your help in advance!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your air-conditioning? Mine sucked big time, so I dumped the R134 and then converted my A/C condenser in front of the radiator to a transmission cooler, completely bypassing the stock one in the bottom of the radiator. My trans temp seems to stay pretty low, I mean you can hold the return line where it comes off the condenser with a bare hand, the line coming from the converter is obviously warmer but still not anywhere near burning hot like it used to be with the stock cooler...

sootman73

Reaction score
i just got a new one from my the guy that built my tranny. ill say this. get the biggest one you can! that a big tranny with lots of fluid to cool. also if you use the one in the radiator make sure you clean it out really really good. they hold a bunch of crud from a burnt up tranny. that will kill it again pretty quick!

gem6.9

Reaction score
make sure and put the in line filter in the return line to the tranny. i got my filter and trans lube from transmission exchange in portland, ore. real good people to work with.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THose plate type coolers are about the best and they take up less surface area in front of your radiator , another nice option is a remote cooler with it's own fan you can poke one of those up under the cab out of the air flow of the engine cooling system and it won't overheat your engine when the tranny starts getting warm, it simply ejects the tranny heat separately on it's own path.
I might add running a synthetic tranny fluid will make a huge difference in longevity on an autobox, especially if you are towing heavy.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
thanks guys... anyone have pics of your set-ups inline filters coolers... how are you guys plumbing your trans temp sensor?

brand names and part #'s if you guys know them off hand

sootman73

Reaction score
if that tranny doesn't work for you i just acquired one that may become available if mark doesn't use it. not sure on its condition but i might be willing to throw it in my truck real quick to see if its worth anything. but it wont be for awhile. at least until i get my other truck running as backup.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
if that tranny doesn't work for you i just acquired one that may become available if mark doesn't use it. not sure on its condition but i might be willing to throw it in my truck real quick to see if its worth anything. but it wont be for awhile. at least until i get my other truck running as backup.

Is it a 4wd tranny or a 2wd I thought the truck guys just got was a 2wd... I heard its a pain to change the rear output shaft and what not on that!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another nice option is a remote cooler with it's own fan you can poke one of those up under the cab out of the air flow of the engine cooling system and it won't overheat your engine when the tranny starts getting warm, it simply ejects the tranny heat separately on it's own path.
Has anyone used one of those after using a cooler that mounts in front of the radiator? How effective was it?

I'm wondering if it might be possible to rig up something similar to re-locate the a/c condenser...?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score

sootman73

Reaction score
ya it was a two wheel drive. ya its not easy to do. i wasn't sure if you had a two wheel or four wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online