Towing package trailer wiring

TomC

Reaction score
I think I have the towing package in my truck. I have the brake controller plug under the dash and relay stuff under the hood. I cannot find any extra wires in the rear harness. Where should I look for a starting point to have trailer hookups that do not run thru the light switch and a wire for the trailer brakes?

Thank Tomc
1992 F250 supercab XLT

Stefan

Reaction score
Tom,

I just went though this on my 1993 F 350!

In my situation I had wires leaving the fuse panel under the hood, these wires were part of the harness going through the fire wall. These same wires ran into the fuse panel in the cab and then a smaller harness of wires ran back towar the fire wall and went NO further.

What I had to do, was to buy a relay and a few fuses for the fuse panel under the dash. I then ran back wires along the frame and connected the wire to a 7 pin plug at the rear. It's all good now!! If you need more info let me know!

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
I have seen them with the wire loom to the back on trucks that did not get the relay and fuses installed at factory. Different years, different places. Most often they are tucked up beside the fuel tank. The tips of the wires have shrink tubing over them to prevent the wires from shorting out.