Towing issue with a 06....

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
What causes the Trailer Disconnected message? Using my brothers 06 F350, Auto, built in TBC, towing roughly 6k today the message center and the TBC kept throwing the Trailer Disconnected message, never did clear, brakes worked, light and signals worked. Put on a new 2 5/16 ball still got the message. All day and it's quite annoying.

Where do I need to start looking for the problem.

Thanks

John

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure it's not on the truck end and the trailer did it with my truck today as well. Trailer needs a complete re-wire and brake job so it goes in Thursday, hopefully this will fix it.

One thing is strange though, even with the disconnect message and the controller blinking red, everything still works :***:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John,

I'm gonna guess that you are getting a ground through the ball that is keeping the lights and blinkers functioning, its just that the puter cant see the "real" ground so its giving you the disconnect message.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
John,

I'm gonna guess that you are getting a ground through the ball that is keeping the lights and blinkers functioning, its just that the puter cant see the "real" ground so its giving you the disconnect message.

I wish that was it, but I have a good ground thru the 7 pin connector, have metered out every connection and have narrowed it down to the brakes, they haven't been serviced in I don't know how long, probably got a magnet issue.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Well, it turned out to be missing insulation on one of the magnet wires grounding out.

Problem solved :thumbsup:

That alarm is annoying -cuss

WD40

Reaction score
Problem solved

Glad you were able to get them fixed. They can sure be a pain when they don't work right. Always good to see where it says. Problem solved;Sweet
;Sweet

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Oh it's sooo nice not to hear the annoying chime, pulled all day yesterday and no problems.

I gotta say that the tow/haul mode is absolutely wonderful and love the downshift and turbo whistle when stopping turns some heads :D

powerboatr

Reaction score
yes the tbc is wonderful
it really works its buttt off in traffic but so smooth
cant imagine not having it now
good to hear you found the culprit

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alarm may be annoying, but would you even have known you had a problem if it hadn't been there? Nice to have found it before it caused an accident or something.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
The alarm may be annoying, but would you even have known you had a problem if it hadn't been there? Nice to have found it before it caused an accident or something.

Probably not, but the funny thing was, everything, brakes, lights, signals, still worked even when the TBC was in "fault" mode go figure??

I'm just glad it's fixed :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7