Towcat... Pics Of Buick Engine

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Here are the pics I took tonight. I'll have to upload them into a couple posts.

Attachments

• DSC00523.jpg
    DSC00523.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00524.jpg
    DSC00524.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00525.jpg
    DSC00525.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00526.jpg
    DSC00526.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00527.jpg
    DSC00527.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 3

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
More pics...

Here are the rest of the pics, including ones of the coolant in the radiator and the oil on the dipstick.

Attachments

• DSC00528.jpg
    DSC00528.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00529.jpg
    DSC00529.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00530.jpg
    DSC00530.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00532.jpg
    DSC00532.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 4

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Talked to the owner tonight... She claims it was never overheated, but that the "check engine" light came on before it died (nice to know that now). I'm going to retrieve codes tomorrow and go from there. I told her that I'm really not that interested in fixing this one because it sounds like it has some serious issues, but she says she'll pay whatever it needs for parts and a fair price for the labor. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow. Thanks for all your help Calvin.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenneth-
gm's unlike fords don't store long term trouble codes. see what you do find tomorrow and give me a yell.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
kenneth-
gm's unlike fords don't store long term trouble codes. see what you do find tomorrow and give me a yell.

I'm on chat now... Does that mean when the battery went dead, I lost everything for trouble codes, or did restarting it hopefully bring them back?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I didn't feel that it was just an intake gasket problem, so I "bounced" this repair because they didn't want anything other than the intake gasket replaced. The owner still hasn't called me back to let me know when they want to come get it.cookoo Makes me wonder if they even intended to pay for the repair...:dunno

Thanks for all your help Towcat!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Well, after months of the car sitting here the owner showed up and just signed it over to me. I decided since I had the intake gasket to give it a try. I replaced the intake gasket, and the thermostat since I was already there, and it fired up, but was running rough. After replacing an O2 sensor, plugs, wires, and coil pack (popped check engine light and when retrieved said ignition spark error). It runs nice and smooth, but out of the blue it starts to idle rough for a bit (sometimes just dies as smoothly as shutting the key off) and then will smooth back out. Sometimes I have to rev the throttle a bit before it smooths out. What could be causing this? No codes for any sensors either, and the check engine light doesn't even come on. Could it be that the gas (been sitting in it since mid December) is bad already? I dumped some gas treatment in it and added $7 (all I had left to my name) of "plus" gasoline in it, and it seemed to help a bit, but not completely. What could I be overlooking? As long as it's out driving, it's fine. After it idles for a bit, it acts like it "loads up" and runs like crap for a bit. I double checked all the vacuum lines, sensor plugs, and connections but it's still acting weird. I'm at a loss now, and any advice would help.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
What is your fuel pressure? It sounds to me like you put aftermarket 02s on there instead of GM. Sometimes that can happen because they are not calibrated directly to the car. What did a compression check get you? What does the power balance test show?

SWS

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
What is your fuel pressure? It sounds to me like you put aftermarket 02s on there instead of GM. Sometimes that can happen because they are not calibrated directly to the car. What did a compression check get you? What does the power balance test show?

SWS

Fuel pressure up at 44psi and the O2 sensor was a Bosch OEM replacement. Didn't do a compression check. Do these engines have a "overtemp" cutoff? :dunno It seems to get really warm (210 according to the factory gauge) and it seems to act up more once it's warm. After it cools off or sits for about 10 minutes, it'll fire back up and run fine. Took it to the gas station tonight to get "fresh" gas in it and it ran fine until I ran out on the way. -cuss Got a gallon in a jug, and it fired up and made it the rest of the way just fine. Went to start it back up, and nothing but sputter and running like crap again. Walked home (1-2 miles) and got the truck and trailer. Went down to the car (about 20 minutes had gone by) and it fired up and drove onto the trailer just fine. cookoo I got this car for free and have about $100 into parts in it so far. I have someone that wants to buy it for $650 if I can get it to stay running, and I could REALLY use the extra money right now.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Compression test and then do a rad pressure test while its running. If it climbs you have a blowed HG or cracked head.

SWS

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
have you checked the throttle position sensor and the throttle plate to see if it is coming back "home" to zero out. i am not really familiar with these engines but it has worked on others i have tinkered with.

can you get the fuel pressure gage on it when it cuts out?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
At first, I thought I was getting pressure into the radiator, but running with the cap off, there is no air bubbles or overflowing what so ever. I pulled the thermostat and ran it for a bit without the thermostat in it to see what it'd do. Ran great and smooth with no overheating and still reached operating temp. Put the thermostat back in and it'll run smooth until it reaches operating temp and the thermostat opens. Then sputters and runs like crap. What would cause this? Should I just yank the thermostat for now? The MAF and TPS both tested out fine. I pulled the plugs to see if any had water residue on them and they are blackened from too much fuel (new about two days ago).

Yes, Calvin... It's headed for the wrecking yard tomorrow, but still would like to try to figure out what the heck is happening just for future reference and my knowledge.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Could be a IAC (if it has one) or could possibly be heat saturation of the ICM/Coil packs. Hard to tell, but if it is showing a spark code...

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Could be a IAC (if it has one) or could possibly be heat saturation of the ICM/Coil packs. Hard to tell, but if it is showing a spark code...

Cleaned up the IAC and replaced it. Ran fine for a bit and started it's normal stuff. Popped a code 41 (cam sensor) so I replaced it with one I'd grabbed while at the wrecking yard. Ran for a bit then died again. Took the ICM down to Auto Zone and had it tested... Tested good. I'm done with this damn thing. Letting it cool off now so that it'll start long enough to load it on the trailer.