Totally stupid idea for making smoke?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ummm,Ok I had one of those LOOONG boring nights at work.I gave it some thought(since I am paying good money to have a engine put in the Enterprise) on how to make smoke and lots of it but still have a turbo!I wondered if I could hook up a solinoid valve to the pressure side of the intake so if I had a tailgater that just wouldn't go away I could flip a switch releasing boost pressure inturn robbing the engine of needed O2 causing an overfueling issue with LOTS of smoke(and an eye glued to the Pyro!).Or those time when you just wanna show off and outsmoke your buddy in the PSD!

I originally tried to figure out a way to rig up a linear actuator of sorts to the waste gate and have a floating waste gate rod.Have it so I could move waste gate open via the actuator but it would make things too complecated and too slow to work like I wanted.Plus there was that chance I could totally screw up a good waste gate.I wanna be able to make so much black smoke on command it will look like Q has been playing with my truck for 007.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
that'd have to be one big solinoid valve. Now if you had an IC, one of those exhaust system bypass valves/levers in the IC pipe would do the trick also....

Freight_Train

Reaction score
I don't know,a 1/2-1" valve should work.After all,someone here had a 1" hole in their intake and only was showing 1 or 2 PSI of boost after the plug blew out.I wouldn't want 0 boost.Enough bypass to drop it to 3-6PSI so as not to draw in funkys from outside.Maybe rig up a setup like my Chevy Z24 had.A flat rubber piece that allowed water to drain from the cowl induction but would suck closed and seal when the engine was actually running.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
ya, a 1" valve should definitely be noticeable. Man I dont want to stage behind you at any of the rallies! LOL

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hee hee hee,now if I could figure out how to make flame throwers without blowing myself up........

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
John go for it if you succeed with it we will have more info to play with .If you get blowed up -oh well-GOOD TRY MAN!!!

Last edited:

snatchal

Reaction score
hee hee hee,now if I could figure out how to make flame throwers without blowing myself up........
Back in high school days (70's), had a buddy try something like that on his car with side pipes. He rigged something up with spark plugs in the pipes ran off of another coil and some other electrical crap. It didn't work too well but he did eventually manage to turn the car into a giant bonfire at a party one night. cookoo

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Those are for gassers.We would need to add a Boom boom(Propane,gasoline,etc) gas to our tailpipe to get ignition.Plus we would need to get some O2 in there since our uses most of it up where as a gasser flame thrower shuts off the ignition coil causing it to just pump fuel and air though the engine and out the tail pipe.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why make smoke?

That's lost efficiency, which means wasted money and terrible fuel mileage. Not to mention, it is bad for the environment.

To each his own, but... why?

If you want lotsa smoke, take a look at my truck in Reverse when the trans is acting up... That'll smoke you out real fast...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Why make smoke?

That's lost efficiency, which means wasted money and terrible fuel mileage. Not to mention, it is bad for the environment.

To each his own, but... why?

If you want lotsa smoke, take a look at my truck in Reverse when the trans is acting up... That'll smoke you out real fast...

Why...? I guess because it's FUN, but that is exactly why He is using a valve to open and close (?) so he decides when is time to have normal fuel milage and when is time for FUN (smoke someone else) :D ;burnout

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd LOVE to smoke some of the protesters here in Monterey.

These idiots show up at the park with their upside-down American flags. There are other ways to protest besides disrespecting the flag, IMHO... A healthy dose of smoke would move 'em...

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
How about a flap or valve of some sort to shut off the incoming air before it ever gets to the turbo? Might suck the air filter into the turbo though?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
At least soot falls back down to the ground and is eaten up by microorganisms. Nothing much more goes up to the Ozone when you blow smoke at someone. :D

However, excessive smoking is ridiculous I think. People who deserve it, that's perfectly fine. But I hate seein big old dump trucks just dumping tons of soot out as they accelerate. Can't be good for anything and just makes people think diesels are old and nasty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online