Torque question

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The flywheel is 47 lbs. Make sure you use RTV or something you like on the bolts because they reach thru to the crankcase and will leak oil on the clutch... I can't give the specs for the clutch. My manual doesn't have them.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
47 ft lbs flywheel to crankshaft as already stated. Pressure plate to flywheel is as follows

• 10" disc 15 - 20 ft lbs
  • 11" disc 20 - 29 ft lbs
  • 12" disc 15 - 20 ft lbs
Bell housing to engine bolts are 50 ft lbs

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all yee of great knowlage, and the ones that have a book.

I've had my dadgum LUK clutch for two months and ain't put it in yet, gonna start tonight.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all yee of great knowlage, and the ones that have a book.

I've had my dadgum LUK clutch for two months and ain't put it in yet, gonna start tonight.

No problem, fire away as needed.

Don't feel too bad about not getting it in, it's a PITA job. I got so disgusted with recent problems on my '90 dually I haven't put the tranny I tore apart about a month ago back together yet. Dreading putting it back in too.

Plan on finishing the rebuild tonight when Mama gets back from her Dads and hopefully get it back in by tomorrow night so I can free up some much needed shop space.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Geez tonkadoctor..... If my truck was up and running I'd be on my way just to give you a hand installing your trans.... But I'm still not finished with mine.:rotflmao ;Really :dunno :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez tonkadoctor..... If my truck was up and running I'd be on my way just to give you a hand installing your trans.... But I'm still not finished with mine.:rotflmao ;Really :dunno :D

LOL LOL I deserved that;Sweet

Just spent 4 hours on the tranny and FINALLY got the gears and shift forks assembled on the tailshaft housing. I'm quitting while I'm ahead for today.

3 hrs alone were spent chasing those Dayum tiny springs and balls in one of the syncros around the shop-cuss ......Very lucky I didn't lose one of them. Murphy must have taken a break.

Get back on it tomorrow and finish the assembly. Lining up the input shaft, countershaft, reverse shaft, 4 shift rods and keeping the 3 shift dentents out of the way at the same time while dropping the main case over it ought to be fun.

BTW a 12" John Deere garden tractor wheel is making a pretty good jig to hold the tailshaft upright while assembling it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tonka... Your just like me. When you really need something you don't have you invent something.... I just love the mother of invention. It puts the mind to work and overcoming something gives me a feeling that can't be matched.... Ok, it comes in a REAL close second.....:D :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonka... Your just like me. When you really need something you don't have you invent something.... I just love the mother of invention. It puts the mind to work and overcoming something gives me a feeling that can't be matched.... Ok, it comes in a REAL close second.....:D :D

Best part is the wheel didn't even need any modification. The tailshaft housing fit perfectly on it and it's incredibly stable. Not tippy at all.;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach

HEY, Anybody need a pair of ZF5 transmission assembly stands with 26x12x12 Goodyear Ag tires before I put them on ebay this weekendLOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey tonkadoc-
now you see what I meant that the tailhousing is the first piece that goes down the assy line?cookoo
they are no fun to put back together-cuss:puke:-cuss

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tonkadoc-
now you see what I meant that the tailhousing is the first piece that goes down the assy line?cookoo
they are no fun to put back together-cuss:puke:-cuss
Towcat,

The advice I got from you when I first talked to you about a month ago has been a huge help. Thank you.

Getting the gear pack back in was a real PITA because I can't lift that kind of weight together. Doctors say I shouldn't lift anything heavier than that tailshaft but you know how well that works.....Not too good. This will probably be the last tranny I ever do myself. Any more problems with this truck before it sells after I finish the tranny and she will get parted out on Ebay

I could have rebuilt a Toploader and a Muncie 4 speed or a couple of transfer cases in the time I spent putting just that syncro back together. Knew I made a big mistake as soon as I pulled it apart..DOH

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I got the new SMF and clutch in yesterday, works great, took three hours to do the job. I had to cut my 3" downpipe to get it out of the way and reweld, other than that it was pretty easy.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I got the new SMF and clutch in yesterday, works great, took three hours to do the job. I had to cut my 3" downpipe to get it out of the way and reweld, other than that it was pretty easy.

3 hrs:eek: ............SHOWOFF;p Takes me that long to decide if I'm going to do anything on any particular dayLOL Retirement is rough.

Glad to hear it's working well. I did get my tranny back together and mounted in the truck yesterday. Too hot in the barn today so I'm taking the day off.......mabey finish it up tomorrow.