Torque converters and shift kits

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm sitting here bored because it's pouring out and thinking about the truck I can't drive because it needs the radiator repaired....

I'm used to manuals from the past 8 or so years of driving them ever since I stick swapped my Chevy. I like driving Diego, and having the automatic is quite nice at times, but it's just... slow and sloppy feeling. It has 3.55 gears and a turbo, just seems like I have to push it a lot more to get STARTED compared to my 91 with the ZF5 and no turbo. Once it's going, it's much more responsive and peppier than the 91.

I'm thinking, would a lower stall converter help?

What are everyones opinions on the "tugger" shift kits? I've seen a couple guys recommend them. I think @trackspeeder was one of them?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I stick-swapped a 2wd Chevy NA diesel many years ago also. It got waaay peppier, and I picked up 5mpgs with that and a ratio swap (4.10 -> 3.21).

I'd do that to your Ford before spending anything on the auto.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stick-swapped a 2wd Chevy NA diesel many years ago also. It got waaay peppier, and I picked up 5mpgs with that and a ratio swap (4.10 -> 3.21).

I'd do that to your Ford before spending anything on the auto.

I definitely considered that, but it's nice to have an auto occasionally. I already have my tow rig as a 5 speed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's my opinions and way of looking at things. First, do go with the Tugger kit. There's nothing wrong with improving the shifting of your E4OD. Plus, i believe that it may help to extend the life somewhat by having the gear shifts be more positive instead of just "sliding" into gear. Second, The automatic will feels slower to start out. It has built in slip instead of the instant power going to the drive wheels once the clutch is let out. Last (and I could be way off with this one) I'd want a higher stall convertor. You'd be closer to the torque peak and closer to building boost. Even if it's just a little bit closer.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a low stall converter in my E4OD, but no shift kit supporting it. It definitely feels like it grabs and goes earlier in the rev range, and around town it feels peppier. These things make their peak torque at like 1400-1500rpm and that's where my converter grabs (OEM is something like 1800 stall), so it feels noticeably more solid than stock. My one complaint is that sometimes the computer gets confused by the converter, like if you're in third and you give it enough gas that it should drop to second, it'll decide 4th gear is better instead; little things like that, which might be something a shift kit and pump mod would help with.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last (and I could be way off with this one) I'd want a higher stall convertor. You'd be closer to the torque peak and closer to building boost. Even if it's just a little bit closer.
I have a low stall converter in my E4OD, but no shift kit supporting it. It definitely feels like it grabs and goes earlier in the rev range, and around town it feels peppier. These things make their peak torque at like 1400-1500rpm and that's where my converter grabs

This hits the nail on the head for my though process. If I were towing heavily yes, I would possibly like the higher stall for the building boost, but that adds to the "lag" I'm referring to.

This particular truck is a daily driver

My thought was low stall should "grab sooner" reducing the feel of lag.

I'm also hoping maybe the converter is showing its age and a newer one may work "better" if you understand what I'm trying to say.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Trans Go Tugger will fix many of the shifting issues with the E4. Use the whole kit. Follow the instructions, be sure to drill the hole on the small side.

Golden Helmet is correct. The factory stall is 1800+ RPM. Dropping the stall speed will take better advantage of the IDI power band.