To stack, or not to Stack?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I think the only reason I would stack anything is for a useful purpose. If you have a farm truck that you run through dry hay fields then I would stack that just because of the fire risk. Truck puller, possibly. DD, depends on the truck and if it's lifted with oversized tires

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I want mine to help with egts and such(thats my story) LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
you should have put up a poll to see the count on who likes what, with that said show us a side pic of your truck so we can visualize it

jmac212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this is an opinion question, keep in mind that opinions are like..............well, we all know the rest of that line. I personally equate them with the younger crowd. Like the big coffee cans hooked to the back of almost every other civic you see. Or hear.:yell:

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
You got my vote for stacks obviously. And I agree with stacks make or break a ride. About 5in above the cab is a good height. 5in or 6in diameter is the max for me. I am not a fan of single stacks. Looks dumb. If yer gonna take up bed room, might as well put two to make it look good. I love my dual miter stacks. I almost went with 5in diameters but MBRP didnt have a kit with 5's so I went with their 6in kit and love them! Sounds awesome! Has a deep tone but is barely heard in the cab. Now if I have my ext cab windows open I can hear it better. I almost went with the aussies but again, mbrp didnt have a kit with that style. My 77 F250 has dual 4in turn out stacks and if I had to do it again on that truck, I wouldnt. But for my diesel, very happy with them and im pretty much the only truck in town with stacks. Gets lots of looks and comments. Only thing I NEED to get for my stacks is the cover that covers the y pipe and cross pipes in my bed. Its got different colors of plastics on it from trash bags and other plastics gettin melted haha. Other than that one of the best things I've done to my truck.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i planned mine because i can only use the sides of the bed because i haul plywood and 2x4s a lot but i find myself in a lot of sitiuations dry grass offroad etc. that would make a stack nice
i picked the flapper because i dont trust an open stack with water getting in i know drains etc but also i find myself parking under flowering trees and other things that could get in there and a flapper will keep any pests out of there too
so my reasoning
also i idle a lot when loading or working and with oba and a power inverter idleing is nice at times

omedrud

Reaction score
my personal oppion is yes on stacks yes their on a lot of trucks but with stacks if you want to show your truck or have it in a prade or something like that you can put propain injection with a spark plug in it and have flames shoot from them i think thats kinda cool and as far as what type wether it be miter cut or turn out bull haller or stright cut the rain caps or flaper what ever you want to call them has to do i think with the wether if you get lots of rain and snow rain caps are a great thing but if you go with like bull haller style or turn outs you would not need rain caps just my thoughts but when i do finaly do mine im going to go with 5" with a 6" bull haller on a 90 f250 7.3 idi just my thoughts :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally equate them with the younger crowd. Like the big coffee cans hooked to the back of almost every other civic you see. Or hear.:yell:
I have to agree with that statement...at this point, I can't help but associate most stack setups with the "diesel ricer" crowd, which I will go out of my way to disassociate myself with. I admit that, when stacks on a pickup were a rare thing, a part of me wanted to put one on my truck (I always thought a single stack with a flap on the top looked cool), but the prospect of losing bed space made me change my mind even before it caught on with the diesel ricer crowd.

You asked for opinions; there's mine ;Sweet there are times when there's a practical need (driving in fields or off-roading regularly), but I imagine that 85% of the stacked trucks are done for looks only...

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the only picture i have on the phone of the truck.

Basically stock height now, but will eventually be doing a 4" lift with 35's

The turbo is out right now for a rebuild, and the downpipe is going in sometime in the next couple weeks.

Im almost sure im gonna go with a 5" stack, im just torn in between a miter cut, or a aussie.
I did find a deal on a set of dual miter cut stacks locally, so im gonna check them out.

The truck is gonna see a fair amount of off road / water, so i think the stack is gonna be a bit more functional than just a look thing.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the trend of stacks on gassers. I've seen quite a few lately. Personally I'm not a big fans of stacks. Just dont see the purpose of them.
John

saw a stack on an old ranger the other day.. almost sounded worse than it looked! :puke:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
as for whether or not to run em, I wanted to but my uncle talked me out of it. Don't want to ruin a good bed and have a big rusting hole 2 yrs down the road. Don't want to blow soot all over my truck every time it rains. Don't want to hear my exhaust over my radio. Don't want to waste my bed space, and having stacks and a bedrail riding toolbox after them would look like ass imo.

I went with 4" straight exhaust and I'm happy with it.

I think dual 4" exhaust going out behind the doors would be cool though, was talking about that the other day. But running the exhaust to the outside of the frame would be tricky without it going under the frame and looking bad. Maybe twin turbos off the manifolds and fender exit exhaust? Would be unique for sure.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No stacks. Just my $0.02.

I may not have room to run 6 inch exhaust all the way to the back of the truck on the DT466 project. But, if I can I will have it exit in the stock location. If not I will not cut a hole in the bed. I might have a hood stack (though I would hate it), but never in the bed.:dunno

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
No stacks...

Nice 4" pipe behind the passenger tire (at a square angle too) :D

That's my motto, call me old school. Seen too many DodgeCummins with the stovepipe in the bed to have any appetite for that sort of thing...

;Sweet

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just picked this up this morning.

Might just leave it like that for a while, if i dont like it, ill go to single.