to get a 6.0 or to not?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are afraid of 6.0's but after reading some things in here I know you guys can make them reliable. In about a year I'm looking to upgrade, either a 6.0 or newer. I know the 6.4 and 6.7 are newt and more power stock...but I can find a 6.0 for cheap and I love the way they sound. Can you make good power out of them compared to the newer ones.why should I get a 6.0 over the new ones.or shouldn't I?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I have begun to to consider this as well, just it will be AWHILE for me.

lately i have started to browse the 6.0L tech and aftermarket sections over on PSN. it seems really overwhelming at first but like ANY engine, once you understand how things "die" and then learn how to keep those things from "dying", and what the warning sign are they are not that big of a deal. you can do an egr cooler/valve delete, new oi cooler and all the fluids and gaskets needed in the project for under $1500. that does not seem all bad to me considering that after you do that the engine is pretty much good to go.

best advice from me would be to go read. there is a guy offering service manuals for all the years of the 6.0L right now as well.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are aftermarket fixes for the 6.0L's problems. Power is not as easily made as in the newer common rail power stokes, but impressive power can be made with out extreme mods.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Main cause of problems in the 6.0

Ford decided to use crappy coolant. Add into the fact that there is plenty of casting sand left in the block and heads, and its a recipe for disaster. In the 6.0 water goes through the oil cooler (liquid to liquid cooler, coolant is used to cool the engine oil). Then after it goes through the oil cooler, it goes through the EGR cooler.

Because of all the casting sand, and other things like rust, the oil cooler slowly clogs up. This in itself is not that big of a deal, as long as oil temps dont get to far out of hand. What happens is they clog so much the EGR cooler gets less coolant than it needs. So now you got exhaust heating the EGR system so much it causes the little coolant that is going through it to flash boil. The steam then rupture the EGR cooler. Now you have steam/coolant getting into the intake, and the engine starts to burn it. Eventually you blow a head gasket.

In short, oil cooler clogs, EGR system boils, steam into intake, blown head gasket.

To fix this you need to thouroughly flush the cooling system and switch to an ELC type coolant. Instal a coolant filter, to help trap all the debris in the system. EGR delete should also be done, or an upgraded EGR cooler. Lastly, change your oil cooler before it gets to clogged up.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the benefits I see to the 6.0 would be cheaper, and the fact I could get an excursion. Idk how easy those are to find tho. I also would have better luck finding a 6 speed as well I believe. But there has to be some benefits to the 6.4 and 6.7 as well. More power of the bat... Is mileage similar? What kinda mileage is easily attained with a 6.0 with some mods? Also a 6.0 would be easier to work on right? I'm just thinking out loud here...chime in if you have things to add

FordGuy100

Reaction score
6.0 will get better mileage than a 6.4, 6.7 will be the same as or slightly better than the 6.0. Its still fairly hard to find a 6 speed 6.0, they arent exactly everywhere.

I would probably do a 6.4 over all of them right now, great power potential and not to many problems. Out of my price range though.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just lift the cab up a few inches and make it alot easier on a 6.4. Basically its the same upgrades on the 6.4 and 6.0 and most other newer diesels (just add a DPF delete to the list).

The 6.0 can make good power and can be VERY fast. Also I am pretty sure they can handle bio/wvo/wmo better than the 6.4

The 6.4 has a better 5 speed tranny although I have a buddy that tore his up with just a dpf and egr delete plus a chip. They make crazy power with just a chip.

Coolant filters are advised either way.

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the later model 6.0's, such as maybe an 05 or 06, did Ford address any of the issues during initial assembly or was the burden still on the buyer to fix them?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
In the later model 6.0's, such as maybe an 05 or 06, did Ford address any of the issues during initial assembly or was the burden still on the buyer to fix them?

they claim to have, but they still used the lame oil cooler and still had the egr system so......

one of my links above has a manual that details each model year change for the 6.0

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online