To gap or not to gap

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Just sharing a thought. When i got my 91 CC the hood was shimmed with a couple washers at the hinges so as to make a gap of approx 3/4 in. where tha hoos meets the cowel. It had a bad engine so when I changed it I did the same thing when I put the hood back on. Yes I know about the possibility of water entering through the air filter,but with the ATS turbo the filter sets way forward of the seam. The first trip I had a lot of problems with cooling but a new radiator solved that.
What I noticed - after the new radiator cooling was great (stock modine radiator - got it late one night in Erie PA),when it got around 210 or a bit higher the fan would kick in and the gauge (aftermarket mechanical) would drop quickly even on the hottest days.(remember all my truck did was tow heavy over the road-before I got it and after I got it till it semi retired). Once I thought the fan clutch was bad cause i never heard it come on and was running a bit on the warm side not over heating but hot,and that was in the hills of north western PA. with 2 oliver crawlers & 1 small JD crawler. Since I retired I very seldom use it (the truck) but have not heard the fan come on that I remember.I'm thinking the gap behind the hood lets the air through the engine compartment easier,rather then be backed into the upper rear of the engine compartment. I am not positive but I thought I would throw it out for you guys to kick around since I never had a modified radiator and towed many miles for years.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear of the hood area is a high pressure area. What you are describing was a poor boy cowl induction trick. It does allow for more air flow through the engine bay, without a doubt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel