Tnjection pump install

fordf550e

Reaction score
Alright, i purchased a reman ip. Got it installed , got it running, but it is not running right. It smokes and sounds like it is going to rattle apart. Im sure this is to do with it being too advanced. correct? if so which way do i turn it to retard. Is there anyway to get it to turn easier, or is it just that hard. Also, i cannot get the rpm to go lower than 1000, the timing advance and high idle are shut off so it is not that. I have backed the idle screw out completely. Could it be a bad rebuild? Or am i missing something simple? Sorry for all the questions, but im kinda of losing my mind so any help would be awesome.

Trent:dunno

fordf550e

Reaction score
I pulled the old one, injector lines and all, off the gear without taking the gear cover off, Then i changed all the injectors then i switched all the ip parts and lines over top the new one on the bench and lined the notch up on the gear and reinstalled everything. There are two lines on the ip and on the housing and they line up. Is it possible for the timing gear to jump even when you dont remove the cover? and what do you think about the high rpms?

Thanks again
Trent

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer one of your questions. You would turn it towards the drivers side of the truck to retard the timing. And my reman IP (from International) had the marks in a very different place than the one I took off so you can't just assume that it's timed correctly because they're lined up.

I would retard it a very small amount (it is running after all) and see if you have some improvement. From your description it sounds advanced.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 probably very advanced timing. Try rotating it about a dime's width at a time(engine off please!) until its right. Where are you located? You might be close to somebody who could help you out, or a real good injection shop.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not being able to get the idle down is a concern to me. This sounds like a bad rebuild. You didn't say if you started out with the marks lined up, but even if you retard it, there is a good chance that the few degrees to the negative side you can go will not make up for the extra 400 RPM's your seeing. Retard it good bit and see what happens.

fordf550e

Reaction score
I am located in eden prairie Minnesota. And thanks for all the help guys. I am gonna go at it again see what i can do. Anybody have any idea on why the truck is idling so high?

Trent

Edit: NM thanks Agnem i am kind of wondering that. but i will see what happens.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the high idle, disconnect your throttle cables just to make sure they aren't somehow pulling the throttle open on the pump a little. Not saying it's going to fix anything just eliminating the simple things first.

fordf550e

Reaction score
Well i got fed up and pulled the new one and put the old one back in, as i was more concerned about the injectors. And sure enough it runs perfect,:puke: so i will be returning that one and buying one somewhere else. Shoulda been smart and payed the money right away.

T:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance