Tires for single wheel trucks?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good E rated tires for my 1990 F-350 I'm thinking about BFG Mickey Thompson, m=my question is it's gonna be on the road and a weekend worrior so Mud Terrain or AT tires?? what are the pros and cons of each??

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it all comes down to personal preference.... I liked the old Bfg mud tires but the new ones are a little different and I've never used them.
AT's will for the most part run quieter then mud tires...read tire tests in the off road magazines....good luck.

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run both, I currently have BFG A/T's on a landcruiser, fairly manageable and responsive on the road not much noise , slight breaking issues.... the M/T's were different - they hummed pretty loud on the highway and they definitely effected breaking and steering - took some getting used to. Both have good sidewall strength, the AT's are enough for me now, my off road days are over.

One thing to consider is the width, I always felt better with narrower tires, the 12.5's that some guys run always struck me as too heavy, affecting steering components, breaking etc..... I never saw a huge benefit to the wide widths unless maybe doing some serious rock crawling. Maximum width I would run is 10.5 but even that I am not sure of ....I am looking for 9.5's for my "new" 1985 F-250. Currently the 250 has Alcoa rims ( 16.5" x 8 or 10"?) with BFG A/t's. They are way too wide and heavy for my taste. I cant comment on performance because I have not really driven the truck with them on, also they are pretty beat.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BFG all terrain?
hell no.
I was referring to the Duravis M700HD tires.
night and day difference.
BFG is a light truck tire beefed up to handle weight.
the Bridgestone is a Big rig tire sized down to 16" rims.
get the idea?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell no.
get the idea?

They're stout tires. I got sick of getting 20,000 miles out of a set of tires because the weight and torque of the 7.3 will just tear up most light truck tires. The guy at TDS said they've customers getting up to 70,000 miles out of them on 3500 Duramax's.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
hell no.
get the idea?
I do, I looked at them and the tread to me isnt what I need its more of a road tire

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, I looked at them and the tread to me isnt what I need its more of a road tire

If you're going boggin' on the weekends they are definitely not the right tire for you but for how I use my truck they work awesome. I was looking at toyo m-55's but I realized that I'd really just be buying them for looks. With 4-wheel drive the Bridgestone's go everywhere I want to... It's a personal preference.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Around here we have alot of unwanted clay mud and are always sliding over the hill or getting stuck, we have a 480+ acre tract of land. Use my truck for farm chores and as a daily driver.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've got Toyo M55's on in the 255x85x16 size.

So far on road some moderate hum, however they perform very well on road and off road/fire road. I've had good luck in mud and sticky stuff howerver they are NOT Interco Boggers or Pitbull Rockers by any means. I was out doing some mud bogging and never had issues at 26 PSI they rode well up the gravel road to get to wear I was going and they handle quite well on the fine gravel.

I've had no complaints, I've had my tyres siped professionally and that made a HUGE difference in winter use. I could stop/start on compact snow no problem, no skating on compact at hiway speeds. All around great winter performance.

The ones I'm using are not the new pattern they are the old pattern. The new pattern is just slightly different and pinnable for studs.

JM2CW

Toyo M55's are a fantastic tyre!

Al