Tire Suggestions

TBAR

Reaction score
Well, I am ready to buy an new set of 285's for my truck and was going to get the GY Wrangler ATS. Unfortunantly I have heard from two people that the tread life on this tire is not that great.

1) Can ya'll confirm or deny if there is a tread wear problem on the GY Wranger ATS?

2) Can you offer suggestions on other brands of Highway tread tires?

Thanks - TBAR

Ggg

Reaction score
I know my tires are not popular but I am very happy with the tread wear. Firestone Steeltex

TBAR

Reaction score
Well, I have been through two sets of them in 115k miles and wanted a change.

Also got a little parinoid when THIS ONE one went bad.

Bought thE 285/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler ATS.

The OEM tires wore well. One set has 8/32 left and the other has 10/32. Might use them on my trailer if I can find some 16" wheels.

TBAR

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ggg
I know my tires are not popular but I am very happy with the tread wear. Firestone Steeltex

I will agree, for the factory stock tires mine are holding up very well. They have 34,000 on them and I rotate every 10,000. I will probably replace them at 40,000 or before making the long drive to Muncie in June, Which ever comes first.:)

Thuglike

Reaction score
The Nitto's look good ride real nice and seem to last quite a while, my brother has had them for 32,000 miles and they all look pretty good still!!!

architect-builder

Reaction score
Have Goodyear 285 Mtr's on mine and my wifes EX. Second set on hers, got 45,000 out of them. I have loved these tires, Great in snow, ice, mud, dirt, jello. :D

Barrett

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy I work with recommended Revos , I just put them on my truck. I had Dunlops but had poor tire wear. They are 285R 75 16 tires. So far I like them.:cool

Ggg

Reaction score
Originally posted by TBAR
Well, I have been through two sets of them in 115k miles and wanted a change.
Also got a little paranoid when THIS ONE one went bad.
The OEM tires wore well. One set has 8/32 left and the other has 10/32. Might use them on my trailer if I can find some 16" wheels.
TBAR
I agree with wanting a change. I have used about 8 sets of BFG's and they were good traction wise but wore out quick. I have 50k on the steeltex's and still plenty of tread left. But I do keep a weary eye on them.

The Hunter

Reaction score
I'm on my second set of BFG M/T and it will be my last. You see ALL FOUR of the original set had BAD belt seperations. Well, actually , the 4th one BLEW UP AS A SPAIR HANGING UNDERNEITH IN THE SPAIR TIRE CARRIER!!!! I used to work for BFG in the '70s. Should have known better.

We have switched to Bridgestone Revo II's. 3 sets on 3 trucks and we are in love! On the Chevy 265/16's , one tire only took 1/4 ounce to balance it! Compair that to the 4 ounces I have on each BFG!

Check 'em out!

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've got Goodyear Commercial G159s with a highway tread pattern. They are the longest wearing and best tire I've ever had...but they are no good off road or in snow...but I never drive off road or in snow. :D

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I wouldn't have Firestone Steeltex tires ever again sure they wear good thats because the rubber compound is too freeking hard. I had them on a 1 ton dually for steers man they were scary in the rain because all of a sudden they would break traction in the corners.

I'am trying Michelin LTX M/S on my current truck I was sceptical about Michelins because at 200 dollars a tire for 235s they are expensive. I like them so far I think I would buy them again I seem to be getting more kilometers out of them the last set of no name tires I only got 13,000kms out of (8000 miles). The Michelins are supposed to last 18,000kms (11,185 miles) from the other people I know that have them on their dually 1 tons.

I thought about trying Michelin XPS Tractions for Steers but at 250 dollars each I'am not buying them if I will not get anymore than 18,000kms out of them.

If your looking for a good tire look at TOYO M-55s I think they come in different sizes now. You may have a slight tire howl buy you will have good all weather and off road traction.

02PSD4ME

Reaction score
Originally posted by morepower02
I will agree, for the factory stock tires mine are holding up very well. They have 34,000 on them and I rotate every 10,000. I will probably replace them at 40,000 or before making the long drive to Muncie in June, Which ever comes first.:)

My stock Firestone Steeltex (265/74/16 E) lasted 65,400 miles.

I replaced them with Firestone TransForce HT M&S tire (265/74/16 E). I like these also, have ~ 7,000 miles on them now. $499 out the door

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online