Tire help for Diego

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy Gents!
Haven't posted in a good long while, I do poke my nose in once in a while to see what's what - life gets in the way!
Been busy in a good way...

Anyways, we're getting ready to hook the 30ft travel trailer behind the trusty old mule and make the drive from Bokeelia Florida to the Catskill mountains of New York for the third time. The tires that came on the truck are Grantland Milestar in 235/85-16, are they any good? The reviews are pretty mixed, my experience with them so far is okay. But then again, I don't have any experience towing a house trailer with a pickup other than this truck with these tires, so I've got nothing to judge against... Based on the wear, the need for replacement isn't urgent, but I've always been a bit of a tire elitist and don't feel it's a good practice to skimp where the rubber literally meets the road... Of course I'm not looking to throw money away or spend more than necessary! Our trailer, which is our home is probably 9,500# with 960W of solar panels, batteries, a hickory butcher block kitchen counter and all our other stuff so the old truck has it's work cut out for it...

So what's the general consensus on a good tire for highway towing with our old beasts?

Sorry for being so long winded! Maybe that's why I don't post more often ;)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that tires on a haul rig or camper are not the place to get marginal quality. My experience with tire problems (especially camper tires) has been they almost always happen when tire shops are closed (nights/weekends). A failure while hauling can be catastrophic i.e. a wreck/damage that disables you or your truck/camper. These painful experiences have led me to pay for good tires for my truck and camper.

I take time off from work to camp, relax, and enjoy my family....... not deal with the stress, cost, and damage of tire failures.

Camper tires are now Michelin XPS ribs.
Truck tires are now Michelin XPR's.

Just my two cents.

Heath

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Make sure they have the correct load rating, and as long as you run a name brand tire, you should be fine.

Also check the trailer tires for the correct load rating as well, sounds like it has some nice upgrades in there, make sure your tires can handle them, the trailer tires load rating gets overlooked a lot. Ive known multiple people who have blown a trailer tire and it isnt pretty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online