Timing vs. GVW vs. mileage

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the optimum timing for best mileage always 8.5 degrees using the non-optical method, or does it vary with the weight of the vehicle? I may just have to start doing some work if this weather keeps up! Towcat...don't hold your breath on that...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full Monte said:
Is the optimum timing for best mileage always 8.5 degrees using the non-optical method, or does it vary with the weight of the vehicle? I may just have to start doing some work if this weather keeps up! Towcat...don't hold your breath on that...
Just watch out for low flying tree branches when you go out on your test drives :eek:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I know many have stated improved mileage when their truck has been timed correctly Mel did mine at the 04 rally and I never noticed a mileage difference so if it did help it was only a couple tenths but then again mine was only off by about 4 degrees I beleive IIRC

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Oh I forgot the weight part my truck weighed 6600lbs when we got it and we got right around 16.5 and I've added brush gaurd/bumper steps WVO tank stacks tool box GN hitch reese hitch which I figure adds up to 450-500lbs more and we still get the same mileage

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
Oh I forgot the weight part my truck weighed 6600lbs when we got it and we got right around 16.5
:moon:

Man Aric not too shabby.
Mel checked the timing on the truck formerly known as Goldie and was right on. Lucky stab by ear, but cruising at 65mph I got a bit over 16mpg.
Round town boping around I am lucky to see anything much over 14. :puke:
Gonna soon see what the difference would be by stuffing some air down her throat. :D
Scaling in at a mere 8k :eek:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I know that mileage is optimized by having the timing correct, but does anyone have an idea of how the correct timing changes (if at all) when the GVW is increased for vehicles carrying or hauling weight?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
Monte gave this some thought, and i dont see any reason why youd adjust the timing plus or minus based on gvw. the timing is set so that the fuel is being delivered to the enigne at the most opportune moment for the most complete utilization and combustion of the available fuel, making the engine as efficient as possible. if anything, id think the greater the gvw, the closer you would want to be to the factory determined 8* btdc, as you will need the engine to be running as efficiently as possible to accomodate the additional load to the vehicle. only time i could think that youd want to go one way or another adjusting timing would be if something else was being added to the system such as boost, propane, water/methanol, veggie oil, or something like that were the combustion process is going to be slower or faster based upon whats being added, and even then i dont think it would be best course of action, as it would only be a fix to keep some other issue from occuring (ie pinging, stress on head bolts, etc). again, these are just guesses, please correct if im wrong here people, just tossing ideas out based on what little i know about the way these engines work.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
Just watch out for low flying tree branches when you go out on your test drives :eek:

Wise Guy! For the rest of you, Towcat is referring to the road test I did on my new hydroboost unit on the '85 F350. One of my more embarassing moments. I pulled into a Safeway parking lot to make sure I wasn't leaking hydraulic oil after the install, and there were these low trees at all the navigable corners of the lot. One of 'em jumped out at me while I was driving by and scraped the side of my camper. Now I gotta remove the side paneling and do some repairs. How do the gods know when you've finished one project and have a fresh vacancy on the list? :mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726