Timing ?s again

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my pensacola pump and it worked fine. Then i checked my timing and it was at 10.6 so i adjusted it back down to 9.6. Now i know that my injectors are on their way out but i dont have the funds to replace them right now. Would it be ok if i bumped it back to 10.6 or would it be risking getting too hot. I have a LONG STEEP pull coming up this weekend. Ill be loaded the heaviest ive ever been as well. Want as much power out of it as possible but dont wanna melt it, and i dont have time to buy and install an egt gauge.

Thanks in advance,
Will

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
without an egt I would leave it at 9.6. I always try to err on the side of caution unless Im really in a TIGHT spot, then my hot head goes for broke (50/50 bites me in the ass too). Keep a REALLY CLOSE eye on your engine temp and your exhaust color. If the exhaust is chugging black, back down a bit. If your temps get over 210 back down a bit. If your running the stock gauges then keep your exhaust from rolling black and your temp under R in normal.

I have been in your positon. my egt was broke (bad thermo) towing everything I own over a pass in montana on my way to oregon and watchn the temps climb like crazy. blew a rad cap and was damn lucky nothing else.

If it starts getting hot, get over and slow down. if it keeps climbing pull over and stop but leave the engine running and bring the idle up a bit to get your fan pulling air through the rad. If you shut it down it will heat soak and you could blow something.

good luck.

keep us posted.

punk

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda what i thought i would get for an answer, I towed a couple times with it at 10.6 and it had lots of power and rolled the black. I backed it down and lost power and smoke.

Im still fighting an air leak to i believe. But ive replaced everything (literally) in the fuel system so ihave no idea where its coming from.

Will

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been where you are in terms of the weird air leak, it eventually seemed to fix itself...not sure what really happened. I have no advice about the timing as I am not really qualified. It sure would be better if you could spring for the new injectors, but then that's talking a bit more money and I've been where the $125 for the cheapest set of remans would be out of the budget too. I reckon do what you have to do.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I fought an air leak to the point I thought I was gonna lose the little mind I have. I finally found the filter housing head was leaking. to check get some axle grease and pull all your electrical connections and fill them with grease and run the truck. It may help.

punk

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its in the filter head, i think its got a hairline crack somewhere. I just need to find one somewhere.