Timing problems

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I could pull the valve cover and check TDC by the valves, some of the older guys at work do that a lot. I didn't put the tape on before, I really didn't anticipate this much trouble. I figured I could static time it and run the hell out of it since it's not a daily driver. If you don't have a pyro, you need one. I can hit 1200° trying to get up to speed with regular traffic. That's with it timed by ear and timed by the meter.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never done it on an IDI, never needed to. You will need to use a valve as a solid stop. Hold it open enough to cause interference with the piston. Identify something, like the holder for the magnetic pickup, that you can use to put a reference mark on the harmonic balancer. Turn the engine very carefully with a wrench until it bumps the valve, and put a mark on the harmonic balancer. Turn the engine the other way until it bumps the valve, and put another mark on the balancer. Half the distance between the marks is TDC.

Maybe someone on here has actually done it.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pyro, and i'm just finishing up the install of a water to air intercooler. Part of your high EGTs is from poor timing too. Something sounds off though, i'd just buy or borrow a good advance timing light to use and eliminate the tape as a potential problem. Moving the width of the timing line on pump for me adjusted about 2 degrees on my stock pump

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my mechanical pump off to install block plate, i meant to stick bore scope in and see if you could see timing marks. There was oil on my cell phone lense sorry for the blur.

Attachments

• 20160325_211803_resized.jpg
    20160325_211803_resized.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 93

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I would hold the valve down, let alone getting it at the right spot to check TDC. if it's too far down, the dampener would definitely show up as the wrong spot. If the valves are adjusted right I could go by the tension on them but I really doubt they're right. I guess there's no timing hole in the flywheel?

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stuff to time it, but I am a couple of hours away. I don't know if it is still a problem, but years ago Ford was notorious for harmonic balancer outer rings moving. I would verify that the TDC mark is actually TDC.

Where is a couple of hours?

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exit 312 on I40, Cleveland School area of Johnston County. Garner address.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to complicated folks...over thinking things here...

My 3 main timing threads should provide pics needed maybe minus 1

If harmonic is correctly lined up to 0 mark then Garys @icanfixall image of the timing gears aligned shows correct orrentation of IP bolts and drive pin.

If out turn emgine 360 reverify 0 deg mark and timing line recheck IP bolt/dowel alignmemt.

This is simplest method for checking....

Timing tape could be on incorrectly thats why I linked my thread...to show the correct orentation.

Lets get down tk basics...

The impulse adapter needs be as close to injector as ppssible on clean bare metal.

I did my testing with the cheapest POS inductive timing light I had...it worked flawlessly.

Hopefully you can find out whats NFG

Here are maybe some helpful threads maybe not

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...S-FOR-TIMING-LIGHTS-Tech-101&highlight=Timing

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-101-TIming-tape-and-timing!&highlight=Timing

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-Tape-and-timing-our-engines&highlight=Timing

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...justment-for-timing-purposes&highlight=Timing

I do hope this is NOT a gear out of sync issue..and something as simple as tape in wrong spot or something simple

Good luck keep us informed.

JM7.3CW

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread number two. The timing tape goes from 10 to 0 to 10 and up. Is that ATDC to TDC then BTDC?

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, why in the Sam Cotton hell do I want a Prius?? I blow smoke at those things! (On the other hand, my buddy's ole lady's mom had one, and I saw it spinning the front tire over) Second off, my tape is on the right way (like my dad said multiple times) and third off that is a great idea. I'm gonna pop the IP gear plate off this afternoon and check that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online