timing probe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.... Is the short answer. You will need an adjustable timing lite too. This meter reads that it will fit the 6.9 engines but thats all we have.. The 6.9 is the same as the 7.3 as far as the glow plug threads go. They also time off the same cylinders. Either number 1 or number 4. They both will work fine.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is the lumy fires after top dead center. The magnetic pickup hole is 20 atc so the lumy fires before the pickup reads the timing mark.
Timing light will only dial for before top dead center and only so far.
One could make a mark at the magnetic pickup hole (long tube on timing indicator) which is 20 degrees atc, Then add the -20 to the positive advance on the timing meter. Other option would be to degree the damper or add more marks on the timing indicator.
I'll sell you that same adapter for $30.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with this meter is the lumi probes are no longer offered. I have several of them but if and when there gone that meter will be useless for diesel timing. Also thats a way too high of a price. About $200.00 is tops for that meter. As a plus, this meter can be used to time a gas engine too.

Wow! Even brand new, it's only worth $200? Lack of demand for "old technology" tools?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow! Even brand new, it's only worth $200? Lack of demand for "old technology" tools?

A couple of years ago myself and three other members here bought a snapon mt1480 meter that was new in the box. Now when I say new in the box. that was a cardboard box. Inside that was the meter in another box wrapped in a plastic bag and around all that a plastic foil sealed bag. Inside all that was the meter with two desicant bags protecting it from moisture. All that for $99.00 shipped free from texas... Wow... Well none of the meters worked. Everyone but me sent them back. I sold mine of ebay last year for more than I paid for it telling the lookers that it would not time a diesel engine... Sold anyway... Lucky me but I really wanted to keep that museum time piece too...

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I ordered the Fox Valley 160 Timing Adapter on Tuesday Feb. 05 and it arrived here today Feb. 07.!! It came from Edmonton which is just 100 miles North of me. I'm jazzed about getting this adapter. I've been experimenting with alternate fuels and I think the luminosity probe will provide better results for my purposes rather than the Ferret adapter that I have. The lumi probe will tell me when the actual burn happens rather than when the fuel gets injected.

I'll try it on the weekend. Stay tuned...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Will be watching for a posting bout this... Just courious how it will work..

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Ok, I put a new 9 volt battery in it and hooked it up to the '86 6.9. It worked like a charm! hce is right. When my timing light flashes, the timing mark is lined up with the magnetic probe hole. No big deal, I think I make some new timing marks on the damper.

I did notice that the lumey probe was more inconsistent; timing mark jumping around, but that is because my injector pump is F'd up and the truck is smoking like crazy. The injection event is the same, so it is consistent with the Ferret, but because the timing is so far retarded at idle now the burn is not consistent, hence much smoke. I have an IP coming, so I will update when I put it in.

That is all for now.
b.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online