Timing opinions

built4tq1

Reaction score
Just curious as to which timing method (s) you all feel is the best for these engines and why.... Im looking at meters of all types and would like some input on the subject, for this is new to me.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I always time by ear and by smoke, but this is not the correct way!!!

I just do it because im a cheap *****:sly
However you can get it pretty close if you have to do it this way.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck using the MAC/ Kent Moore timing light adapter, but that is the only way I have done it besides by ear.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A meter like the Kent-Moore Tach and Time, Snap-On MT480 or MT1480 will allow pulse or luminosity probe timing. Lumy timing is a bit more difficult as you need to know the cetane number of the diesel you are using.

Since these meters are hard to come by, others use a Ferret adaptor and a timing light.

All will get your truck timed correctly, but pulse, lumy, and ferret are all a bit different and require a bit of trial and error to figure out. However, pulse timing (to me at least) seems to be the simplest way if you have the right equipment.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pulse timing is just connect the probes. Start the engine and rev to 2000 rpm. Timing by luminosity methos you need to know the fuel ceatane as listed above and remove a glow plug from number one cylinder. Then time to a retarded reading. That will convert to the same as a pulse timing method. Using a ferret meter you connect the meter but use an adjustable timing lite. You adjust the timing lite to the degrees to want and then shoot the lite at the timing mark. I prefer the pulse method with the ken moore J33300-A meters. Its all just connect and read at 2000 rpm. Then adjust as needed....

whenry912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ferret pulse timer and I have had no problems using it, works great and easy to use. ;Sweet