Timing meter

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THAT is TIMING LIGHT...not meter.

Great for gas engines or spark ignition. If you have a pulse adapter that the timing light can hook up to it could work then with a diesel.

As it sits, it would not work for a diesel like we use.

JM2CW

Al

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the ferret pulse adapter also with a traditional timing light. Other companies make the pulse adapters too, but ferret comes up a lot.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many members here speak highly of the ferrit timing adapters but the light is nothing I know anything about... One member I know and trust told me he has good things to say about the sears craftsman adjustable timing lits. No matter what lite you buy it must be adjustable for it to work on our engines with the fettit adapter... Others will chime in on what works. But that lite you posted about is not able to work without more parts and... Its really too expensive... A used craftsman lite is around $25.00 to $50.00 alll day long on eaby.. Just ahve a look see there.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, thank you, my buddys truck got broken into, and all of his specialty tools got stolen out of his gangbox, so I suppose its time to buy my own.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Anyone seen any complete kits on ebay recently; even the craftsman one?

Im needing to pick up a complete one for myself but I dont know all the parts it has to have and what can go with what.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. I made offers on both of the Kent moore j33300-a meters but the sellers didn't like my offer. A new meter was on there and the asking price was $375.00 bin... I offered $200.00 and the seller came back with $325.00... Not happening no matter how new it was SUPPOSED TO BE... I have 11 of these meters and feel I know what the price is fair to both sides. And the other meter is still on ebay and the price is now $175 bin. Its in pieces. I really don't think it works and all the parts needed to make it work are missing. I made a fair offer of $50.00 as a parts only meter.. Never even got a return offer from that seller. Been 6 weeks now and nobody has bought it... Gees... I wonder why.. I even explained what I know about that meter but the seller is not responding to me so its tuff ******* to him... My money will be spend eslware....

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Many members here speak highly of the ferrit timing adapters but the light is nothing I know anything about... One member I know and trust told me he has good things to say about the sears craftsman adjustable timing lits. No matter what lite you buy it must be adjustable for it to work on our engines with the fettit adapter... Others will chime in on what works. But that lite you posted about is not able to work without more parts and... Its really too expensive... A used craftsman lite is around $25.00 to $50.00 alll day long on eaby.. Just ahve a look see there.

So you are saying I could get a craftsman light and then go buy the previously mentioned adapter, I could use that setup to time my (our) trucks and have it all for less than $100? If that's the case, then I am in!

So I did some more research on this and I came to a dead end. This thread explains it well http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?31828-Timing-Adapter

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The green box you linked to is the The fox valley adapter and it is a luminosity probe and needs tobe timed after top dead center which would require a timing light with a retard on it not advance. Now you could probably make it work by using a cylinder 90 degrees before #1 and advancing like 86 degrees but you would be in uncharted territory for this crowd.

Luminosity probes use a glow plug hole where pulse adapters clamp on the fuel lines. Pulse are btdc and lumi is atdc.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The ferret adapter is a great tool, as far as timing lights, they are not all the same. Most cars time at or near idle and it doesnt make a difference, but for our purposes, quality of timing lights makes a HUGE difference. MSD had a test comissioned a few years ago and found that most timing lights ( including most high dollar ones )began to fluctuate when approaching 2000 rpms ( which ironically is the point at which we need to set out timing at ) MSD wanted to test lights for REALLY high rpm timing for advance curve setting for race engines with their ignition systems and most all lights failed. THe only lights that consistantly passed accurately were the craftsman timing lights and the MSD lights ( ironically, made by Ferret, and obviously the ferret lights) ALL , and I do mean ALL others, failed with varrying levels, even the ones put out by snappy and mac.
I used to have a craftsman light and it was always spot on but it died a graceful death from serious old age and lots of use, right now I'm using a snappy light and it fluctuates a bit , but ive learned to read between the lines
Some of the cheaper digital ones will pretend to stabilize and give a steady line , but its only because their circuitry isnt capable of responding to the number of pulses going by at that speed and the circuitry is attempting to guess at where it is supposed to be, so while you may be seing a steady line, you really dont know if its reading high , low or somewhere in between.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• DVC01352.JPG
    DVC01352.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DVC01343.JPG
    DVC01343.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 6
  • DVC01357.JPG