timing advance question

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my old mechanics teacher told me my truck hazes (or blows) gray smoke all over the damn place when i rev it from an idle saying i need to advance the timing a hair (which from my research more power and a bit better mileage is returned). now considering he, nor i, have the machine to accurately time it, facing the front of the IP, what direction to i turn the pump from the hash mark to advance it?

facing the engine turning it to the left of the hash line? or facing the engine turning it to the right of the hash mark?

also off the subject, ive never requested and ordered parts off of a forum, but i need to get ahold of one of type4s return line kits. help please? :dunno

thanks all :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Facing the engine - you turn the pump counter-clockwise. From inside the cab - that would be clockwise. If you're turning the IP by grabbing it with an oil filter wrench, or a giant pair of channel locks, or hopefully it has the boss on its font for the 3/4" open-end wrench - put the weapon of choice on the pump, and pull it towards the passenger-side fender. That's about as least confusing as I can describe it, lol

For the return line kit, why don't you just send Russ a PM?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a good idea to check your timing every couple of years, but I have to ask you also how many miles are on your pump and injectors? These need to be replaced preventatively and not just when you have a problem. 100K miles is about alll you should expect as a usefull service life.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a good idea to check your timing every couple of years, but I have to ask you also how many miles are on your pump and injectors? These need to be replaced preventatively and not just when you have a problem. 100K miles is about alll you should expect as a usefull service life.

trucks odometer hasnt worked since i got the truck. stopped at 43,168. for all i know thats only 143,168, or nearly quarter million miles. who knows :dunno all i know is the trucks engine or tranny hasnt had a single problem that would make it "broke down", and it still gets wonderful mileage for being such an old full size 3/4 ton, and it still has enough power to do whatever i need it to do.

i love my truck :love:;Sweet