Timed at idle

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a truck was timed at 800rpm, about what is the advance going to be at 2000?
What are the affects going to be with that much advance?

Black dawg

Reaction score
when I time one to 8* at 2k, advance will be 12.5* at idle speed. This is with a ferret style pulse box.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it drops about 4.5deg worth of timing at 2k?
So what would engine run like at 4.5deg worth of timing at 2K?
overheat? burn anything up? or just run sluggish?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Possible white smoke, lower power, lower mpg. Probably wont see any problems come up because of it though.

drcliff

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day, from my perspective as a gas-engine mechanic. When I time a gas engine, I dial it in to spec and then I bump it up a couple degrees at a time until I find the spot where it runs best overall.

Why can't we do this with our IP timing? Just move it 2 degrees and drive it, go back and forth until you find the sweet spot. Is there any reason why that won't work?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Firstly, because you cannot adjust timing on the fly. If you loosen the IP while the engine is running it will destroy it, possibly taking your hand off in the process.

Secondly you can set it where it sounds and drives really nice. Butt dyno'ed better than recommended timing. And be far enough advanced that you're burning up your GP's and risking cracking pistons.

Thirdly, the collective has alot of testing, and dyno time behind their 9.5* btdc on pulse method #

Really unless you've got it on a dyno, and meter it between runs to know where you are. Ear timing, or bumping it by feel, will get you nowhere.

To the OP, keep in mind the timing curve on these pumps is a calibration. So the curve will not always be the same from idle to 2k on different pumps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online