Time for Wheels/ Tires

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I get my truck back together, I am noticing that 2 of the four tires it has have deflated with split sidewalks. None look very good. Aaaaand of course the wheels, which I like, are 16.5s. So, I can spend ~$250 each for BFGs, or its time for different wheels.

I would like to grab some decent 16in or 17in wheels off maybe an early 90s truck and throw a little cheaper set of tires on it; I'm not going to put all that many miles on this truck anyway. Plus then if I ever get a flat or need a new set it won't be so hard to find tires. I think the ones now are aluminum so prefer that but will have to see what's out there. It has 33in tires on it now. What trucks can I get the wheels off of? I understand they switched from a standard to metric pattern at some point? Truck in the sig.

Also if you're selling some, maybe I can take them off your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You're correct on the bolt pattern change. Ford switched from 8x6.5" to 8x170mm when they brought out the Super Duties in 99. However, the vans stayed on the older bolt pattern for a number of years more (not sure when they changed over, if ever). IIRC, while Dodge and GM did use the same 8x6.5" bolt pattern, they use a much smaller hub diameter, so stock wheels from them won't fit.

As for tires, I'm running 235/85/16 (stock size) Cooper Discoverer H/Ts. They're E-rated and go for about $130/ea at Discount Tire (America's Tire). No complaints.

Mike

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Factory rims will have to come from an 80-97 F-250 or F-350. They are the 8x6.5" lug pattern, and Ford uses the largest hub diameter of the "big 3", so Factory GM or Dodge rims will not fit without having the centers machined out to fit. The E-250 and E-350 maintained the 8x6.5 lugs into the middle 2000's, I think they did finally change over to the metric 8x170mm on the 99+ SuperDuties and Excursions, but that has just been here recently.

If you are going for aftermarket rims, steel or aluminum, as long as they are 8x6.5" they should fit. All the aftermarket companies made the hubs large enough to fit the Fords, so the will naturally fit the other two. They did not make manufacturer specific aftermarket wheels, only OEM. Only catch in the 80-97 model years is the F-Superduty. These have a 10 lug rim, not 8......

For example, if you found an OEM GM "Alcoa" rim (not sure they even made them) it probably would not fit. But an Alcoa rim sold from a tire and wheel shop would. (Alcoa made the factory aluminum rims with the round holes that were on the OBS trucks)

As for tires. I really like the Firestone Transforce A/T's I am on my second set. First set went over 60000 miles before they died to age and a couple of screws...... I replaced them earlier this year with another set. They are not noisy, and have good traction. The Ex is my winter get to work vehicle, and it has never let me down. They are not overly expensive, compared to the competition and they last forever!!!!! I will continue to buy the Transforce A/T's as long as Firerock keeps making them.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind you should probably go with a 17" as putting a 16" on will probably cause some rubbing issues. Had a neighbor try that 15+ years ago and couldn't figure out why the front wheel wouldn't turn. The rim rubbed on the caliper. :dunno

Reaction score
Keep in mind you should probably go with a 17" as putting a 16" on will probably cause some rubbing issues. Had a neighbor try that 15+ years ago and couldn't figure out why the front wheel wouldn't turn. The rim rubbed on the caliper. :dunno

OEM 16s will fit fine. Aftermarket 16s should be test-fit first. I have OEM Alcoas on my bricknose. They clear the caliper fine, but it's CLOSE. That's OK, though. Just means some Ford engineer did his job correctly.

Mike

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info from everyone, thanks! Looks like it's junk yard time. With that many years to choose from ought to be able to find some. It's a shame the aluminum ones it's got have to go, they are damn nice wheels. If anyone wants em let me know. I'll throw a pic up here at some point; need to get it running before I do the wheels anyway (see my build thread haha).

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i spent some coin on mine, actually trippled the value of the truck! (at the time)
i had a 16.5 fly off, so i wanted bran new rims, road side assistance, and a awesome warranty.
big o quoted me 3100 for 5 rims and tires.
went and got 3 other quotes, as i like big o, i went back to them and showed them my quotes,
i walked out of there with 5 rims, 5 275 70-17's mounted ballanced, installed, and even got them to throw in a spare tire for my trailer!

2,470-ish
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just as a note (and it definitely depends on the supplier) but I don't buy into some of the tire warranty crap. Like road Hazzard coverage. Roadside assistance, well I can change mine way faster than anyone could get there.
Had brand new pirelli tires put on the jetta at Sam's Club. Towards the end of last year. Had all the warranty crap.
Well while getting the oil changed at the dealer, they always do a general inspection. Front right tire had two bubbles in the sidewall. So go to Sam's, they say not covered because it was caused by a curb or pothole. Definitely haven't hit any curbs.
Either way, that's still a road hazard.
Still had to buy a new tire at full price and pay the mount, balance, etc.
Bullchit...

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i bought tires for my T/A before i sold it, i did hit a curb.
and Big-O replaced it for me..
i do all of my tire business with big O.
the local store here is awesome, and the road side assistance is more for a piece of mind, like if my woman ever drives my truck,
she dont have to change a tire that weighs the same as her..lol

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get some aluminum wheels at the junk yard, so now it's just tire time. Not looking to spend a lot but I also won't just buy the cheapest thing out there. I have done the road hazard before but more often don't. Probably won't on the truck. Thanks for the tips! Thinking probably 265/75/16 all terrains...

To clarify, what I found were what I assume to be factory 16in aluminum wheels from a 95 250.

Last edited:

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're correct on the bolt pattern change. Ford switched from 8x6.5" to 8x170mm when they brought out the Super Duties in 99. However, the vans stayed on the older bolt pattern for a number of years more (not sure when they changed over, if ever). IIRC, while Dodge and GM did use the same 8x6.5" bolt pattern, they use a much smaller hub diameter, so stock wheels from them won't fit.

As for tires, I'm running 235/85/16 (stock size) Cooper Discoverer H/Ts. They're E-rated and go for about $130/ea at Discount Tire (America's Tire). No complaints.

Mike

Dodge and GM still ran a full floating axle in the back, and the rims are meant to be rotated, so hub clearance won't be an issue...

2010 and Up GM will be ugly for you as the went to a 8x180 or 8x190 pattern.

Dodge take offs will be your best choice, should be able to find a set of 4 rims and rubber for 700 ish, anywhere there is a Dodge store. and all of our new (RAM) trucks run a 33" tall 18. 10ply Firestone TransForce AT or HT dependng on the trim package.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Mastercraft 265/75/16's in a street tire patttern on my Expedition love them. The Mastercraft MXT is the quietest mud tire I have heard. Had them on my Rover before I started the tear down