Time for new front springs?

jstewF250idi

Reaction score
My 93 IDI N/A is my daily driver and the roads in Seattle are starting to get to me and the old gal. Recently replaced the front shocks and front shock bracket due to it shearing clean of the frame.

I'm now realizing the harsh ride is likely due to the almost complete lack of suspension travel before impacting the bump stops. I'm hoping the idi community can help me confirm or deny based on what you see on your trucks.

New front springs will likely set me back $300-400 but if it helps keep my teeth from rattling out it'll be worth it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those springs are toast, they look like my old springs. I'll post pictures below, but my springs had about 3/4 of an inch of space before hitting the bumpstops, and the ride was awful. Part of my problem was some satanic jerk put polyurethane bushings in the leaf springs at some point in the trucks life, but I think most of the blame was on the springs just being toasted. I can't say if new springs will help your ride though, I went with the dana 60 route instead of replacing the TTB's leaf springs.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with 3486lb Husky springs from Rock auto. Much better ride and the bump stops sit about 2.5” higher than yours.

They actually lifted the front end just a touch higher than needed and I’ll have to install a balljoint offset to fix the negative camber. Which is not really an issue for me as I was planning to go through and replace that stuff anyway. I have a regular cab though, you may not have this issue with the heavier super cab.

See my thread ‘89 F250 project for pics.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put new on mine and I will say....
Try the pivot bushes first...
The new ATS springs\shackles did NOTHING for ride height.

jstewF250idi

Reaction score
Can you clarify where I can buy pivot bushings and where they sit? I'm a newbie to suspension components

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I replaced mine with 3486lb Husky springs from Rock auto. Much better ride and the bump stops sit about 2.5” higher than yours.

They actually lifted the front end just a touch higher than needed and I’ll have to install a balljoint offset to fix the negative camber.

My father went a similar route on his '84 F350 crew (TTB).

Two different alignment shops were adamant offset camber bushings were the fix - but could not source ones with enough correction. Then he took it to a spring shop... they rebuilt/recurved the pack with an extra leaf and zero'd out the camber without touching the balljoints. :Thumbs Up

EDIT: Of course, make sure your pivot bushings and balljoints are good first.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search button will bring up the thread with the 101 and part #'s
I fergit now.
Energy susp.?
Dana 50 Ttb piviot bushes.