Throttle return spring.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading Scotts throttle cable thread, I just now remembered that I don't have a throttle return spring on my IP. I know Marnin (dieselgaint) got one at the Rally from somewhere. I need to get one too. Any idea what the part number is and where to get one?

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a double spring. Feds require that. I can get you one tomorrow from my favorite yard. No charge too cause its always free there....:eek::sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a double spring. Feds require that. I can get you one tomorrow from my favorite yard. No charge too cause its always free there....:eek::sly

I would really appreciate it. I did not even know such a thing existed until the Rally. I just assumed the sping on the cable was all there was. If it is a federal requirment........I guess it's time to get it on there.

:hailThanks a ton Gary.:hail You've got a PM.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... Federal requirement eh? Perhaps I should start issuing citations when I find a violation. LOL That should cut down on the length of the line at the timing clinics. :D

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I got it Advanced Auto Parts I'm don't have the part numbers but it was a "Throttle Return Spring" It fit perfectly and it's a double spring.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It hooks on the throttle arm on the side of the IP and runs forward to a little ear with a hole in it on mine. It's just a double spring that ensures the throttle returns. Yeah, had I not had one and my cable broke, I would have had a runaway engine! The throttle cable has a spring on it, but you want more just in case that cable lets loose! Looking at mine, I would guess any throttle return spring setup would work, looks just like many on SB/BB chevies, and such.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Okay I've found some part numbers at Advance Auto Parts its a 59206 thats the spring that fit my pump. What the spring does it helps return the throttle to Idle in case of the throttle cable breaking or getting stuck it will pull the throttle back to Idle, its just more insurance against a runaway.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BROWNIEBOY95 - in TN and a few other states with steep inclines we have runaway ramps for Semi's so if they have brake failure or any other problems where they could not slow their momentum their vehicle

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I think you mean the shoulder with pea gravel. A semi truck uses this in an emergency like if he loses his breaks, usually they place these lanes at the bottom of a steep hill.

LOL I am so late with my replies

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
O, IC, then why don't we use those runaway SEMI Roads we find on the road of the free way

That's kind of a strange question you've asked, but a runaway engine could be one sitting in your driveway, out of gear. You have it running, you spike the throttle to hear those 4 inch pipes and uh-oh...the engine starts bouncing off the governor and you can't stop it without jumping out and manually returning the throttle to idle, let's hope your quick!

Or you pull up to a stop sign and the throttle doesn't return to idle, the truck is in gear and unwilling to shift out of gear because all the torque applied through the transmission, and it happens so quick and unexpectedly you monster truck the car in front of you!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online