three starters?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I was just at Autozone since my starter in the 94 went south again. This time it lasted a year and a half. It doesnt cost anything on Autozones lifetime warranty but it sure is a pain to swap them out every couple years.

HERE IS THE QUESTION: Apparently there are 3 different starters that Autozone says will work in my 94. First one they call "early Mitsubishi" which is the one that I have in the truck. The other is a "late style Mitsubishi" and the other is a "Nipundenso". All three of these starters have a different looking gear housing but appear to be the same bolt pattern.
Does anybody have experience enough to know which of these starters is the best??? Is there a reason to prefer one over another? I was afraid to trust Autozone myself and told them to give me the same model I had rather than try a new one, however, I dont seem to have very good luck with them and was wondering for that reason if one of the others is better.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The Nippendenso I had good luck with. It's a gear reduction starter so you will wizzing it over pretty good. The biggest one to stay away from is Delco (it's a direct drive starter = cranks slower).

One thing that can lead to early electrical motor failure is bad wiring contacts - you might have a look see at all the wiring connections.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 227K on it and looks to have the origional starter on it. It is a Mitsubishi, and even if it has been replaced I've had the truck for 5 years and its never given me any trouble. Make sure your batteries and alternator are working properly, and all the GP's are good. Extended crank time will kill a good started in no time. Also dont skimp on your batteries, buy the best you can because there IS a difference between the 1 year and 7 year batteries at Autozone.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well to be honest the last time I changed the fuel filter wasnt too long ago and I didnt fill it with fuel just cranked her adn it took a little while longer to start then I would have liked......might have been what killed it:dunno but it wasnt sudden

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the gear eduction mitsubishi or the nippondenso. They are both good. I remember towcat saying that the nippondenso works a little better if you think you have a slightly worn ring gear. Good luck!

mejonz

Reaction score
I just replaced my starter with a nippondenso real happy with it. motor turns over real fast engine starts quick;Sweet

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
yours should be the mittsubishi, the one with out the cone is a PSD starter, gotta watch the 94 year.
but ya with an Azone starter , every year replacement is expected.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
yours should be the mittsubishi, the one with out the cone is a PSD starter, gotta watch the 94 year.
but ya with an Azone starter , every year replacement is expected.

Well that is the thing........according to "karatezone" all three starters are interchangeable!

Glad to hear someone else has the same problems with their starters as i do..........I guess i keep doing it cause they are free.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I went to a diesel electric shop to get a new starter ( all they handle is starters and alternators for trucks and heavy equipment ). I went in asking for a mitsubishi, and he had them, but he didn't want to sell me one. He insisted that the Nipponsenso would last worlds longer and spin faster. I've been very happy with his suggestion.Rumor has it that they don't take kindly to running off bad batteries, not a problem on mine :D

------Robert

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the truck yesterday looking up some leaks, shimmied over to the start and yea its Nippon...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.