thought some of yall might like this! not mine

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
For us turbo guys -cuss

I actually have a K & N flat panel filter in my truck but it got sucked in. It was fairly new and still clean but it sucked in :rolleyes:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had any problems with them myself. I have seen new ones but they seem really high compared to some other k&n filters. I was just trying to help out some body.

crazy what happened when it sucked in?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Nothing other than air was bypassing the filter. Didn't notice it for a while as i don't check my air filter as often as i should even though i'm under the hood already.

It was sitting in the box but after a few WOT runs the filter would get sucked in on one side and its back would be against the the top of the intake housing.

Went to a quality paper air filter and it hasn't happened since.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've had a K&N for years and never had a problem... what matters if it's used? they're made to be cleaned.

Like I said, enough old timers (loggers, truckers, mechanics) that I know say dont use them, that whats the point in using them? I mean maybe they are decent, but enough people have told me not to, that I wont.

And yes maintaince on them is key, which is probably due to most of the horror stories associated with K&N.

I'm still not a big fan of buying a used one. I guess it could work out fine, especially if your in a pinch. Kinda like buying a used wheel bearing.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
My grandfathers buddy once said "If you can see light through it, dirt can get through it"

What he meant by see light was the little pin holes in the media you can see through when held up to the light. The smallest piece of dirt we can see is about 70 microns. So those holes must be at least 70 microns big if not bigger. So your letting in dirt that is say 70 microns and smaller.

Oil filters are rated at between 20 and 30 microns. So obviously you don't want dirt any bigger then 30 microns floating around in your engine. So why would you want to run an air filter that lets in such dirt? Sure you gain airflow and even power but at the cost of longevity to the engine and also the oil.

In my opinion the air filter is most important filter on an engine. If you want your engine to last a long time good air filtration is key. You could go quite awhile without any other filters so long as you had a decent air filter. Think about all the Briggs and Stratton engines without oil filters. Some of them don't even get oil changes and they run for years:eek:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I have no trouble with my k&n I also run a oiled foam prefilter.....thinking about it now that its almost summer I gotta reoil it and throw it on.

-Jon

DragRag

Reaction score
I used to be anti K and N. When my paper filter was half dirty it would cause to much restriction and pancake my vacuum gauge on intake. This would cause my egt's to go to high, and boost to go to high also. In a stock truck I use paper, in my modified truck I use a K and N now out of need. I think K and N has a place, just keep it clean.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
IMO, if people don't like em thats fine but I currently live in west TX where it gets REAL dusty and I haven't had a problem. Actually since I'm puttin a turbo on my truck I have one identical to the one this guy has for sale, if someone wants it...

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K&N is meant to be cleaned and re-used.
I have a K&N with the X-Treme flow top on my '65 F350....it's definetly a big upgrade over the stock oil-bath air cleaner LOL

The only horror stories I've seen are when they are run in dusty conditions without enough oil.

I'm buying a K&N for my IDI and I'm pretty excited...it should be very good with dual ram-air intakes from each side of the radiator. ;Sweet

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
The K&N is meant to be cleaned and re-used.
I have a K&N with the X-Treme flow top on my '65 F350....it's definetly a big upgrade over the stock oil-bath air cleaner LOL

The only horror stories I've seen are when they are run in dusty conditions without enough oil.

I'm buying a K&N for my IDI and I'm pretty excited...it should be very good with dual ram-air intakes from each side of the radiator. ;Sweet

want mine?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
K&Ns are fine for a naturally asperated engine.

They are bad for a turboed engine because the turbo sucks the dirt right thru the cotton gause, it is not fine enough

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
K&Ns are fine for a naturally asperated engine.

They are bad for a turboed engine because the turbo sucks the dirt right thru the cotton gause, it is not fine enough

thats what ive heard also, i know on powerstroke they have been responsible for dusting turbos and engines

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online