Those of you with larger tires

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you have your in bed tire mounts? I have seen all the tire gate options but Im not gonna spend over 100$ to mount my spare. Probably just going to build a little tire mount in bed myself. Figure I can probably do it for under 50$. Im interested to see if any of you have done the same.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I just have my spare laying in the bed tied to the corner. I remember the JCwhitney catalogs had some sort of universal bracket that would hold a tire upright to the bedside. I can't imagine it costing much.

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a spare...if one of my tires blows then I prolly have bigger issues then a flat tire...
Kind of odd mentality... What if you just have a slow leak and you come out in the morning to a tire sitting on the rim? 90% of tire problems I have seen have not been blow outs and the couple that did blow were easily remidied with a spare and no further damage to the truck... I always carry spare, but I also carry enough gear to extract pretty much any vehicle so maybe thats just me.
I just have my spare laying in the bed tied to the corner. I remember the JCwhitney catalogs had some sort of universal bracket that would hold a tire upright to the bedside. I can't imagine it costing much.

I want something that will mount my spare in the center of the bed up near the cab. I dont want it to be visible over the bed side. Thats why I think Im just going to build my own. Just kind of curious if anyone else has done that yet.

Reaction score
These bigger tires do great at low psi, meant for the mud and wheeling, so i could just drive slowwwww to the gas station and spend $.50 to air it back up, then deal with it at home. I've had several sets of these bigger tires, everything from toyos to swampers and never had any problem where I needed a spare. I've seen people that needs spares that; 1. They were doin hard wheelin or 2. Got in a wreck. I guess for me its just not worth the extra bed space to keep one layin around. Then again I guess it depends on what you call a "larger" tire. I could understand throwing at 33x10 back there, not to much space needed. I also carry tons of gear, just not a spare

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These bigger tires do great at low psi, meant for the mud and wheeling, so i could just drive slowwwww to the gas station and spend $.50 to air it back up, then deal with it at home. I've had several sets of these bigger tires, everything from toyos to swampers and never had any problem where I needed a spare. I've seen people that needs spares that; 1. They were doin hard wheelin or 2. Got in a wreck. I guess for me its just not worth the extra bed space to keep one layin around. Then again I guess it depends on what you call a "larger" tire. I could understand throwing at 33x10 back there, not to much space needed. I also carry tons of gear, just not a spare

Im just talking about a 35... Most places I wheel require you to have a spare. But I dont wheel my truck, I wheel my Jeep.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Dont forget, just cuz you have big tires does not mean you cannot put a small spare on the front and go easy until you are able to fix or replace the big tire.

It may be ******* the rear diff components, so if you destroy a rear tire, put a front on the rear and the little tire on the front. Way better than feeding the vultures.

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont forget, just cuz you have big tires does not mean you cannot put a small spare on the front and go easy until you are able to fix or replace the big tire.

It may be ******* the rear diff components, so if you destroy a rear tire, put a front on the rear and the little tire on the front. Way better than feeding the vultures.

I have a full size spare... Just tired of letting it flop around in the bed...

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I don't carry a spare tire, a can of fix-a-flat and a small portable air compressor will do just fine.

And if a tire blows out my truck will probably be screwed anyways, easier to just tow it.

Then again buy good tires, and check and rotate them every now and then, and you should be fine.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Here is how I mounted My spares:sly
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that its not a necessity to carry a spare tire people. Thats not the matter of this thread. I know there are other ways to remedy a flat tire. Im asking, if you do have oversized tires and you do carry a full size spare and you dont just let it flop around in your bed, how do you carry it... Thank you TK, that looks pretty cool. Did you build that rack?

tknomaj

Reaction score
Pipe bender and flat stock and angle at the bottom. rollcage pipe bent at a friends shop. will get better pics of it for You tomorrow if you want them.

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pipe bender and flat stock and angle at the bottom. rollcage pipe bent at a friends shop. will get better pics of it for You tomorrow if you want them.

Sure, why not... I love stuff like that. You look like a Jeep kinda guy with that shovel and high lift and even that rack. lol.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Cool rack TK! Ingenuity at its finest. I want to build a small safari rack with some spot lights on my truck sometime. I've seen LMC truck had a kit to mount a spare in yer bed. Didnt think it was expensive. BUT you could just look at their kit and make yer own. Wasnt much to the kit. I'd just make yer own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online