Thook Thook Thook!

7.3shrk

What the hell is this? I got in my truck this morning after I got off of work. I go to start it, and it cranks a littler longer than normal. It catches, and I hear thook thook thook thook from the intake (I think). I goose it a hair, and the noise is gone. Is this a sign of my pending demise? There have been no other sounds/driveability probs.

7.3shrk

It is about time for an overhaul - 200,000 miles and the original injectors, return lines, and I do not know if the injection pump is original. It scared the helll out of me though because I can not afford to rebuild an engine right now (and the wife would never let me live it down).

Thanks,

Nick

7.3shrk

I am running no additives, and oil pressure has been a hair lower than normal - on the "N". As for fuel, I have not changed anything, and running regular #2.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Some, very few don't use any additives but I would suggest You start using one of Your preference (stanadyne, power service or Lucas My personal favorite now) if You can't afford to do much on the truck now, that will bring it back to life and maybe give You the time You need until it must the serviced.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your concerned with your oil pressure being lower than normal, you could try to add some Lucas oil stabilizer to limp it along longer that without it. It really thickens up the oil and adds more lubricity. Just something to think about.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
The factory guages in these trucks SUCK! Don't put a lot of credence in what they read. I was told when I bought mine that they are an idiot light with a stick. Turns out to be true. I thought my engine was dying, cause I had smoke coming out from under the hood while driving, low oil pressure (would even fall to "0" while driving sometimes & that will make your butt bite the seat!) and was smoking blue smoke while driving around town. I mean smoking so bad it was embarrasing!
Well, the turbo bearings were the cause of the tail pipe smoke, the oil pressure is actually 35 to 40 driving and 25 hot at idle, and the smoke from under the hood was from the CDR hose (kinda like a PCV valve).
Anyway if it weren't for these guys, I would have bailed (& lost my ass) and bought something else.
So, run the additives, get a real gauge, and listen to these guys, they will help you.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
200,000 miles is just right. I really doubt you need an overhaul, unless the previous owner beat the **** out of the truck and ran it without oil. I have well over 250,000 on my rig the oil gauge reads low and it smokes for the first five minuites, but it has been the most reliable truck I ever owned.
Don't discredit these engines too much.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A compression check and under valve cover inspection can go a long way to making you feel better about the whole engine, while you replenish your fuel system parts.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Ive got 215k on the truck, since you got original injectors and IP, id replace them. Little caps and orings too, cause there a PITA if you dont(trust me on this i lost about 4 gallons of fuel out of them in about 2 hours)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My truck has 255,000 miles on it and it hardly uses any oil. Last 3500km between oil changes it used 1qt - mostly leaked/burned off on the passenger side exhaust manifold due to loose valve cover bolts...Other than that I see maybe 3-5 seconds of blue smoke when I start it cold....Tight as a ducks **** the old thing is. I'll get better read on things when I get my mechanical gauges hooked up. Still waiting for my fleabay gauge pod to show up. Right now the factory oil pressure guage rides right in the middle or slightly higher all the time.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
dang,Am I the only one that remembers this?The factory gauge is an Idiot Light with a needle.The sender is nothing more than an on/off switch.When the OP reaches 8PSI it closes and the gauge goes to middle.So,basically,you can have 8-800PSI of oil pressure and it will only show middle gauge.Gee,I am the one that will never have a running IDI again and noticed this?!?!?!Man,I figured atleast Mel would have said something.Guess screwing with that Powderchoke has given him brain damage?Guess EM radiation is a bad thing....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7