Thook Thook Thook!

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
just keep her lubed well and tend to all the little things a good ole gal likes and she'll keep ya going i have 592000on one and over 300000 on the other with just the simple thing she likes

luc to ya

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang,Am I the only one that remembers this?The factory gauge is an Idiot Light with a needle.The sender is nothing more than an on/off switch.When the OP reaches 8PSI it closes and the gauge goes to middle.So,basically,you can have 8-800PSI of oil pressure and it will only show middle gauge.Gee,I am the one that will never have a running IDI again and noticed this?!?!?!Man,I figured atleast Mel would have said something.Guess screwing with that Powderchoke has given him brain damage?Guess EM radiation is a bad thing....

Some are like this. Some have the small pressure switch with a resistor inline. Some have the large can style with a potentiometer inside. The Large can style will give you a variable reading. The small on off ones will not. Don't generalize everything into one statement. I've seen them both ways. The large can style is way more common than the on off style over the years.

suv7734

Reaction score
Some are like this. Some have the small pressure switch with a resistor inline. Some have the large can style with a potentiometer inside. The Large can style will give you a variable reading. The small on off ones will not. Don't generalize everything into one statement. I've seen them both ways. The large can style is way more common than the on off style over the years.

Please be careful here as well. The large 'can' type while used on some of the older 6.9 engines were phased out because they are prone to failure due the vibration associated with a diesel engine. That is one of the reasons the 'new improved' version came out. If you look at some of the older medium duty trucks with bigger diesels in them they too use the 'can' but it is remote mounted. Just want to make sure someone doesn't get the impression they might be able to just go and buy the 'can' and have a real gauge without some other considerations including removal of the inline resistor.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I am running no additives, and oil pressure has been a hair lower than normal - on the "N". As for fuel, I have not changed anything, and running regular #2.

From this it has ran away to don't trust the stock gauge, but he still has a thook, thook, thook .... problem right? So is it injectors, timing, or fuel?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the hell is this? I got in my truck this morning after I got off of work. I go to start it, and it cranks a littler longer than normal. It catches, and I hear thook thook thook thook from the intake (I think). I goose it a hair, and the noise is gone. Is this a sign of my pending demise? There have been no other sounds/driveability probs.

This sounds like it might be the classic bleeding lifter syndrome.

When the engine stops it almost always stops in the same spot. Occasionally it'll stop in a different spot, and the valvetrain exerting pressure on a tired lifter will "bleed" the pressure out of it. When the engine starts, that valve won't open, thus the "thook thook thook" sound. Soon as there is oil pressure enough to inflate the lifter, the sound is gone, and it will run normally.

It will typically happen when left shut off for a long time, and often be intermittent(only happen once every few weeks or so) because the engine usually stops in the same place.

My '86 did this for years. Only did it once every couple months, but always ran fine...

I'd say keep an eye on it, don't worry too much, it won't hurt anything.

If it continues, or gets to be worse or consistently more often, then there might be something to worry about...

Zigg :)

7.3shrk

Thanks for all the help, as for it sitting, the longest it has sat before the noise is about 12 hours. I am now on my days off, and will start to delve into this. Where can I get the addidtives? Is it an off the shelf or do I need to go to a truck speciality store? I have a rebuilt IP I got off a donor truck and am going to get the injectors soon, then I will replace all at once.

Thanks,

Nick

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Hard to beat Howes diesel fuel conditioner. Great stuff to prevent wear and it's also a good anti-gel in the winter. One bottle handles like 1500+L if you mix it to the automotive spec. 2800L if you mix it to the big rig spec.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7