this is frustrating..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i got this truck from my friend a few months ago. 87 4 door dually with banks turbo. in pretty good condition, no rust normal wear. just had a small electrical fire which can be fixed with a new harness (found a few sources that had one, just time of getting them) anyway, i got both tanks dropped, rear one clean (looked seriously brand new) and the front one almost cleaned just need some diesel to flush out the simple green i used to scrub the inside of it. that was the last thing i got done before it got too cold or rained too much to work on it with my days off. well it was pretty nice today, no rain bright and sunny perfect time to put the diesel tanks back into the truck, except for one thing.. last tuesday i had to have my appendix removed so i cant life anything over 10lbs for another 5 weeks, when its probably going to snow and be so cold it hurts to go outside. so yeah my truck is going to be backed up another month and a half at least, probably longer due to paying med bills and being off work til jan 11th. just when the perfect time arises...something comes up.

anyone else experience this as well? kinda like someone just toying with you.

ok thats the end of my rant.

(btw you guys have been very helpful when i have asked for help with issues like wiring diagrams, tech help, advice, etc.)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the first order is to get well...so make sure not to be tempted to work on it too much till your doc gives you the go ahead. It seems like projects like this are always a source of frustration as you described but the payoff will be worth it. Hang in there

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Welcome to my world :kick: . Heck , lately, everytime I'm ready to tackle something it either starts raining, or the arthritis kicks up and puts me down for the count -cuss Gets old after a while.

You can get those tanks up without much strain. Loop a couple of nylon ratchet straps around the tank to keep it from flopping over and run it up with a floor jack a few inches, tighten the straps a bit and repeat till it's in position. This way you can do it without having to lift anything but your arms over your head to get the bolts ( even better with air tools) Just don't go popping any stitches while crawling around or you might have to learn a few new words :eek: . I had to do my front tank that way a while back, not hard at all. I have to use tricks like that for just about everything these days. It's doable ;Sweet

You're not far from here. We live just south of you down 65 around Conway

--------Robert

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
take your time, it will be for the best. search for my troubles here over a year ago. but i got it back together and running fine!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surgery and subsequent recovery sucks. Day time television will only cause your pain to worsen. I would suggest getting a pile of good DVDs, my personal suggestion would be to start with Dust to Glory and work your way back through motorsports time until you get to On Any Sunday. These are my two favorites as far as motorsport documentaries, but the Fastest Streetcar Shootouts, Crusty Demons of Dirt, and SledNecks are good entertaining video series as well.

Seriously, do you have anybody who you might be able to coerce into reinstalling the tanks for you?

Good luck however you make out

R. J.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. i dont plan on touching it until my doctor clears me, its not important enough to be back in the hospital for a hernia and more lost time, im already missing 3 weeks of work dont need to miss anymore due to a ******* move on my part. plus christmas was probably the only somewhat warm day for a while. luckily im not old enough to have arthritis, so i dont have to worry about that quite yet.

rldsl, i might use that to get them back up after the doctor clears me, sounds alot easier than trying to muscle them back up, i had to take the front one down and it was full of old diesel, i DO NOT want to do that again, luckily these trucks are really high off the ground, so i didnt have to jack the big ass thing up. i actually live in a little town south of branson, about 11 miles, but nobody has heard of it so i just say branson because its easier and more people know where that is.

glad to hear you got yours fixed h20, i just dont like the feeling of being helpless and not being able to do anything.

lotza, thanks yes daytime tv is hell, luckily a friend dropped off a bunch of movies and im a member of netflix and blockbuster online so i can at least have some enjoyment movie wise. i will have to check those movies out, some of them sound interesting. its not that vital i get the tanks reinstalled in the next 5 weeks, just would of been nice to get that part of it out of the way. but oh well. doctor said i was fine at my checkup today, just got to wait til i see the surgeon on jan 10 to see if i can go back to work on light duty until the 6 weeks is up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i actually live in a little town south of branson, about 11 miles, but nobody has heard of it so i just say branson because its easier and more people know where that is.

Are you down around Omaha or north of the border?
A bunch of years ago, I drove a gut wagon between Russellville AR and Buffalo MO up hwy7 through Jasper every day. Got fairly familiar with that area.

If you somehow find yourself watching Opra, grab a wrench and we'll talk you down :rotflmao

------Robert

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually live just outside omaha, still considered omaha, but not in city limits. im just down the road from where they are building that new airport for the branson area in branson creek.

dont worry, no oprah for me.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought south park season 10 yesterday and got the following movies in the mail today (netflix/blockbuster)

balls of fury
i now pronounce you chuck and larry
the kingdom
blades of glory
bourne identity (already bought bourne ultimatum, good movie btw)

that should hold me over for a little while, and so far netflix has very fast shipping compared to the blockbuster online service, so the wait time for gettign them is more than half the time.

and my friend earlier told me today that they think they have appendicitis too, they are waiting for ct scan to see if it is. they are a cummins employee, works on those big ass engines (the ones that hold 145 quarts of oil) and are like 19 litres plus. service tech/engineer.

friends a girl btw, thought that was kinda cool. not too many in that line of work.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like superbad is a movie up your alley, the cops are just like the ones in super tropers.

i agree its tempting but dont push it, i never went through it but watched a guy at work who refused to be down. he ended up back in for a secound surgery and made things much worse for himself.

good luck if you want to feel better read the saga threads if icanfixall:D

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
friend dropped off superbad today, just watched it. it was really good, pretty funny too.

Last edited:

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well.. im back to work and back to working on truck and project car. got a promotion at work, and it was warm the last few days

picked up a steering column for 50 bucks, wiring harness for the truck for free and paid 15 bucks for the banks pyro gauge. also got the fuel tanks back in, that was the most frustrating thing i have done in a while, it was a pain in the ass. hopefully itll be running within a month depending on weather and time.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow I missed this thread first time around. Might have something to do with it being around Christmas time and me working for Big Brown....

I feel your pain brother. I live in the great NorthWET (no that is not a typo). We've had rain just about every weekend since October, and the few weekends it hasn't rained I got tied up with Scouting or something else to do with our kids.

Then 3 weeks ago I dislocated a rib. The end result is that neither my Jeep OR my truck are or will be ready for my annual trip to Moab Utah for the Easter Jeep Safari (EJS). Easter is close to a month early this year, and I just can't get out and do any serious wrenching right now. So, I've basically run out of time and as much as I hate it, I'm going to have to miss EJS this year.

Oh well, I'll spend what time I have over the summer getting everything into shape and I'll take a week's vacation to go down there for the week of Labor day instead.

Glad to hear you're doing better, hope to be right where you are in a couple of months with the worst of it behind me.

BTW, I just returned from your neck of the woods. I spent a week in Springfield visiting family.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're up and kicking again and things are looking up;Sweet
It'll be nice to get that thing rolling.
we'll be up your way in about a month. One of my kids is in a choir competition in Branson and we'll be up there a few days. Any luck at all, I'll have my engine back in so we can take the 5er . I hope to get that done this next week if the weather holds out and the rest of the parts make it in.

-----------Robert

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
We are going to Branson in March to celebrate me getting "more older" Going to whippersnappers.All you can eat lobster "yes the maine type"not cray fish-not rock lobster.The real mcoy.around $27 .I used to fish them and haven't had any since May 2005.Poor whippersnappers better be ready to loose some $$$. We go across on 412 then up from Marble to Berryville-Blue eye then down into Branson.Hummmm should we try to hook up? Its about 3 1/2 hours for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online