Think its time to PULG IN???????

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Except for maybe the early 6.9s no such thing as plugged in to long the block heaters have their own temp control so after a certain point it should shut off (~200deg F). Most people around here run them on a timer which so long as you never leave way early works great if you forget to change it for daylight savings or for some reasson have to leave an hour or 2 early you might be in trouble though (takes ~3hours for full heat on our trucks so most set the timer for 2-3 hours)

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I live in northern ohio and have yet to plug my truck in.

Good batteries and 5W40 makes all the difference though.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The coldest day we had last winter was 13*F. My truck started perfectly with one cycle of the glow plugs. If all of your systems, gp's, IP, injectors, batteries, starter, return lines, timing, ect, are in good service, starting should be pretty easy, they were designed and tested to start down to -14*F. I will put the block heater on a timer for 2-3 hrs prior to start up when the lows average in the twenties, it does make for an easier time in the morning.:angel:

I had a truck that was dead on a cold morning once, 45 minutes with the block heater on woke it right up. The heaters work well and do a good job when they are needed.;Sweet

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left my truck out in the woods last winter overnight as I had to drive a work truck home instead. Came back the next morning to -26* and no place to plug in. Glowed the plugs for about 30~40 seconds and she fired up, sounded a little rough for a little while; but it started. I was figuring that there was no way it was going to turn over and we were going to have to pull start it.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope I'm not hijacking, but I, too, have heater questions.

Is it possible to let it be plugged in too long? I'd imagine overnight wouldn't be a bad thing, but would it ever burn up oil, or cause bad things?

Also, anyone ever put their truck on a timer? Leave it plugged in all night, then at 4am have a timer click on and start warming up my truck before I get in at 7am?

I use a timer on mine. Make sure the amp rating is high enough. I think I paid less than $20.00 for my timer I have used it for probably 12yrs.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
15w-40 synthetic and a good set of glow plugs, mine starts at below -20 on one round of the GPS without a fuss. Now waiting on the heat to build up enough to see out of the thing ,... THAT's another story

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Olives are the seal inside the fuel line compression fittings.

the second post in this thread has a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?58566-Fuel-leak-help&highlight=olive

PM Type4, he sells them for dirt cheap. Also, the old ones are not going to come out of the fitting easy unless you soak them in brake fluid for a few hours to soften them up.

I think this where im going to start. The tank switch didnt kick over last night and I ran the back tank dry. 4hrs of cranking, new filter, and had to get towed home.

Thanks for the clarification.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can burn the olives off the lines pretty quick. Do remove them from the truck to do so.