Things to look for when looking at a 7.3L SD

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Not trying to sound like an ass but I hope you mean you beat them off the line.I owned both a psd and factory turbo idi.there's no way an idi will catch a psd.unless both are stock.it would be close.but a psd with a 10k mod WILL outrun an idi with ease

Like I said, in town. Once we get to the open road, let's just say the IDI is all bottom end torque.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The psd isn't as scary as most think.with all the info that's been collected on various sites you really don't need a scanner to figure them out anymore.back when I got mine I didn't have all the info that's now available to yall.I had to do what everybody else had to do.jump in feet first and figure it out.together we have amassed a great wealth of info on them.we found out what makes these things tick.cost us alot of time, money, blood, sweat and tears.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I think people are just scared at everything that could go wrong.

But in reality, does EVERYTHING go wrong? Not really.

My best friend has an 02 F250 with a 7.3 with 350,000 miles on it. He's had it since new and it's been a great truck. I think he had the transmission rebuilt(4R100) in the 100,000 mile range, but i'm not sure. Other than that, just a few minor things like any other vehicle, such as a water pump or two, etc. It's got a whirring noise in the drivetrain somewhere. He thinks it may be the transmission, but when I ride in it, it sounds like it is further back than that. He has all new u-joints. Do the transfer cases make whirring noises when they go bad?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a bearing on the output shaft that goes bad.the chain stretch and make noise

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys. as far as the tuner goes. i would not mind one if it would increase my mpg. i do drive quite a bit between school and work so any increase in mpg would be of benefit.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The psd isn't as scary as most think.with all the info that's been collected on various sites you really don't need a scanner to figure them out anymore.back when I got mine I didn't have all the info that's now available to yall.I had to do what everybody else had to do.jump in feet first and figure it out.together we have amassed a great wealth of info on them.we found out what makes these things tick.cost us alot of time, money, blood, sweat and tears.

This is how I learned about the T444E (PSD). Dive in. Basic knowledge of a diesel engine will get you by in most cases. :D

I cheat now. AE is great, but you don't really need it. It just makes life super easy.:thumbsup:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Long bed a big thing for you, or you just looking?

long bed is a must for me. just can't stand trucks with short beds. better than not having a truck when you need one but in my opinion useless. don't like the look either of the sb.

Ideally i want supercab long bed. 4x4 is a must. preferably black exterior or blue, but when i am looking for a 12 year old used truck you can't exactly build the truck you want. kind of have to compromise. i would not turn down a nice crew cab long bed either. srw as well is must.

i think i could get used to the collor of the truck that i linked to. looks nice and clean.

seams like i always find the vehicles that are far away from me. Capac MI is over in the thumb region. right near were i went to look at a '77 f-250 for doing a psd swap. once again oh well.LOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This is how I learned about the T444E (PSD). Dive in. Basic knowledge of a diesel engine will get you by in most cases. :D

I cheat now. AE is great, but you don't really need it. It just makes life super easy.:thumbsup:

Speeder,

Does the AE play well with the PSD's.... I have been looking at it for my 6.0..... does it run the diags as well as read everything?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're out there.I wish the price of them would come down more.the sds still get crazy money here with blown motors or wrecked.would like a crew dually with a popped motor.everything in my obs will swap right in.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speeder,

Does the AE play well with the PSD's.... I have been looking at it for my 6.0..... does it run the diags as well as read everything?

Does everything a $5k snap-on scanner does and more