Things I've noticed on my first drive in the new truck, and tons of questions.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Truck ran and shifted quite well. It has a Banks Dynamax muffler, and it's far and away the quietest diesel truck I've ever heard. All you hear is a little turbo whine, apart from that there is no engine noise going down the road.
It doesn't have the raw power I expected. I don't sense any more, if as much as my N/A has, although, without a bed, it will squawk the tires pretty good.
At low RPM under heavy throttle, it puts out ungodly black smoke. So bad that I couldn't see my buddy behind me until the RPM's climbed, and the smoke cleared up. Pyro doesn't work, I'll have to fix that. Engine light stays on all the time. What causes the engine light to come on anyway?
Is there an exhaust brake on the market that'll work with the banks sidewinder?
If I was worried that I might be leaking boost, is there an easy way of finding the leak? I don't hear any hissing. Maybe the wastegate is frozen? It's pretty rusty. I'll spray it down with something tomorrow.
Is there a way to install a more convincing air box? That Banks Ramjet just doesn't impress me. Where do you get filters for it anyway?
I don't like the plain vinyl bench front seat. What vehicles should I be looking at to find a bolt in set of Captain's chairs?
More questions to come later, but now I'm tired.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine light only comes on with low oil pressure<7psi or high coolant temp >243*F or an electrical malfunction with the sensor(s). I'd say with all that smoke, the fuel has been turned up already and you might have a dirty air filter or a boost leak. Since I don't know much about turbos and my truck doesn't even have one yet, I can't tell you where to look for a boost leak or how is the easiest wa to detect one. How is this truck geared? Higher than the N/A.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, the factory oil pressure guage has been bypassed for an aftermarket one, so that may be a problem.
I think it's geared lower than my N/A.
As far as a clogged air filter, you're probably right. I'm sure theres a few mice nests in there to deal with, there might be one in the intake. I have no Idea where to buy a new air filter for it.
I do know that in needs a new T-stat.
I'm sure there'll be a ton more questions over the next day or three.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
***UPDATE***
I think I've found the low power/black smoke issue.
The intake track was clear, clean and pretty, The banks filter is a K&N re-useable, and the Turbo spins freely, However the wastegate is rusted solid in what I'm assuming is the open position. I'm going to PB B'laster the hell out of it and try to get it freed up, and go from there.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I still think the timing is retarded. If the wastegate is stuck open it'll have at least as much power as your other truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online