The sound of air

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd pass along an observation made tonight while working on the Moosestang. Current progress tonight, included installing 4 new shocks (got 2 more to go), finalizing the cooling system, and finishing the fuel system. One of the "features" of this truck, is the Argve method of fuel filter relocation. I have built a "module" that bolts to the drivers side frame rail, and includes the Holley Red fuel pump, and 6.9 filter assembly (soon to be a 7.3 fuel filter assy, with intergal heater, thanks to Towcat). In the course of installing this, I let a ton of air into my fuel injection system. To bleed it so that I could start the beast, I loosened the fuel return line fitting at the injection pump, and ran the electric fuel pump until there was just fuel with no bubbles coming out. However, I knew there would still be hills an valleys in the rubber fuel lines that would cause trapped air to remain for some time. Once the truck was running smoothly, I hot wired a single headlight (lots of electrical work to do yet. :rolleyes: ) and proceeded to purge the air. I have a driveway that has a steep incline, and going up the hill and back down, and then up and down over and over again, would produce repeated bouts of "diesel bronchitis". A very nasty sounding coughing fit, due to air intrusion, that could easily be mistaken as one or more injection nozzles going very bad. However, the dead giveaway that it was not an injector problem, was that due to the complete lack of an exhaust system, I could hear the air "roll" from one side of the engine to the other, as various nozzles took there turn dealing with the air problem. It took about 6 trips up and down the driveway to purge all the air out. If you had a turbo, or regular Y pipe, I don't think it would be possible to accurately diagnose this problem as air in the same fashion as I was able with no exhaust. Hence, another potential validation for mufflerless dual exhaust, as a usefull aid in troubleshooting. ;p

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Once again, Mel proves why we keep him around :D
Agnem said:
Hence, another potential validation for mufflerless dual exhaust, as a usefull aid in troubleshooting. ;p
OH - and now i don't want to muffle *********... Mel, you think i'll hear minor differences that you guys won't, i take it. maybe i should plan on heading North for the next 'Lobster' dinner (anybody see the irony of a guy growing up on the Chesapeake Bay & the Atlantic ocean going to Red Lobster for a seafood dinner?).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
. maybe i should plan on heading North for the next 'Lobster' dinner (anybody see the irony of a guy growing up on the Chesapeake Bay & the Atlantic ocean going to Red Lobster for a seafood dinner?).
irony no. embarassing? yes. I've been to Boston, MA many times when my sister was going to school there. The best times we had for food was the little mom and pop resturaunts outside of the tourist zones. ;Sweet

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Agnem said:
One of the "features" of this truck, is the Argve method of fuel filter relocation. I have built a "module" that bolts to the drivers side frame rail, and includes the Holley Red fuel pump, and 6.9 filter assembly (soon to be a 7.3 fuel filter assy, with intergal heater, thanks to Towcat).

Hmmm,this sound suprisingly like the NCC1701 method.The pump and filter are under the drivers butt on the frame rail using the stocker fuel filter bracket.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to post a pic of my setup after I get the 7.3 filter head on it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Mel, I hope you plan on some kind of rock shield for that fuel filter ;Sweet specially with it behind the left front tire.... seems to be a target area :eek:

I have seen my share of pinholes in oil filters...not common
mind you and those were on gassers,{apologys for the foul language} but there is just sumptin' about leaking diesel :puke:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Like George....gotta agree too.I got a purdy lil chrome cover that slips right over the relocated oil filter on the Ranger. ;Sweet
That sucker is right behind the front bumper and has a few dings on the cover even there. :eek:
Plus would look pretty sweet under there too. ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
but there is just sumptin' about leaking diesel :puke:
You mean liquid gold? I fill to the top of the fillneck every time I refuel, and every now and then a drop hits the ground...I wince every time I see it...

those were on gassers
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I can't believe he used the "G" word...

MODERATOR!!!!!

:Banned :Axed :Banned

:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is actually inside the frame rail, right behind where the factory Bronco fuel filter was. It's pretty well protected by the transfer case too. If something is going to puncture it, it would have to either be thrown off by the drive shaft, or something would have to recochet under there.