The nut holding the knuckle on my 2wd Tailhousing has come off

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was replacing an E-brake cable today on the truck in the signature. I spun the wheel around and heard a click... click..... so I looked into it, and sure enough, the nut on the tailhousing, holding the u-joint knuckle on the output shaft, had come loose and fallen off, hanging out inside the u-joint. I'm not sure how long it has been in there, but I'd guess a while.

The threads on the output shaft look fine, as well as the slot in the shaft I believe. Here are a few images.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

So, I have a few questions. First, can I just thread the nut back on and restake it?

And if so, what is the torque spec for this nut?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short answer ...yes..add some blue locktite since it came off once...n before installing it ensure threads are super clean....lots brake cleam same with nut...torque to...***** books back in shop brb

184 lbs ft according to my manual...

Last edited:

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

And damn, 184 ft lbs. Holy **** that's a bit. I'm guessing that will lore than max out the crappy torque wrench I borrowed from advanced auto. Guess it's time to buy one.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That happened on my brothers truck. He had a failing dmf, which is how I noticed the nut. I was twisting the driveshaft back and forth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

And damn, 184 ft lbs. Holy **** that's a bit. I'm guessing that will lore than max out the crappy torque wrench I borrowed from advanced auto. Guess it's time to buy one.

Oh.my any excuse for a new tool is good enough for me...other than woodwork tools...for wrenching...if I have to borrow one I buy it.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am not able to get a socket on this nut, as the opening in the knuckle is just big enough for the flange on the nut. The socket that I have is much bigger in diameter than the flange on the nut, So I am not able to torque it down.

Does anyone have any tips for me? It seems that a socket the diameter of the the flange on the nut would be too weak to hold up under 184 ft lbs.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Gotta get the right socket. Thinner wall.
Or I guess you could shave yours down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea where I can get a thin walled socket from? I believe it's a 35mm

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 pt will still be too big. I measured my nut and it's a 36 mm. The opening in the knuckle for a socket is 46 mm. The thin walled sockets I've been able to find online have all been about 50 mm in diameter.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, 45 x .03937" = 1.771"= 1 3/4" od
Not sure what you are getting at here. I know how to convert mm to inches.

I'm going to end up getting an impact socket and turning it down on a lathe to the exact diameter of the opening in the knuckle, less about 5 thousandths. I'll do this to ensure I am not taking off any more material than I need to for strength reasons.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are getting at here. I know how to convert mm to inches.

I'm going to end up getting an impact socket and turning it down on a lathe to the exact diameter of the opening in the knuckle, less about 5 thousandths. I'll do this to ensure I am not taking off any more material than I need to for strength reasons.

EDIT- seems like you realized you sounded like a (insert derogatory name here) and edited your post...
this is the only edit i will make, you know what you posted ;Really

in my field, thousandths gets you nothing but returned product.

it was a generalization. not many people here know what 0.021" looks like.
i can eyeball .020 pretty damn accurately.

it was an effort to help, if you dont like it, you suggest you look elsewhere for sympathy.

i gave you the exact dimension. do what you wish. i just figured since you couldn't figure out how to tighten a nut, you needed a little help.
i greatly apologize for trying to help, i wont make that mistake with you again ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle