The IDI that won't die saves the easter Jeep safari

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had all these great plans a couple of months before easter to swap the 12 valve cummins into the hummer, have it all set up to pull my range rover out to moab, blah blah... and it was going so well, right up until the rover crapped an IP and the hummer developed a massive oil leak from the cam inspection cover 2 days before we were leaving... so I decided to fix the rover and leave the hummer, see if the old dually was up too pulling my (really heavy) rover out there. The ride out there went well - I had to drop to 2nd gear pulling about 30 up the passes, but my temperatures were staying ok and I think I probably made up more time in the flats with my long gears than I would have if the truck was geared to pull the hills in 3rd with the 4 speed. The motor does have 360k in this thing, so I'm not complaining. The lovely utah state patrol black flagged the dually almost immediately after I got there - wrote me a warning for the lack of fender flares, mudflaps, front bumper, front license plate, etc... basically said if they saw the truck in town again before I was leaving they would throw the book at me. -cuss I hate how **** they've become out there for that weekend. So I left it at camp for the duration of the stay, loaded out on sunday and got some entertainment on the ride home... I was pullin strong through vail pass, but the top of eisenhower had a good 6" of slushy snow towards the top and I lost it about a mile from the summit, slid my way to the side of the road and had to kill the truck to deal with the 4x4. I don't have a good ebrake in there and I haven't reinstalled the 4wd shifter since the body lift, So I had to choc the tires and crawl under the thing to try to get 4x4 in... in a blizzard... no fun. Naturally, the truck was hot enough when I shut it down that the sudden lack of coolant flow caused it to overheat, so now I had 4 gallons of perfectly good coolant on the ground too. took about 20 minutes to get water back in it and get it in 4hi, which still didn't work, and then into 4lo to creep to the summit. The other side of the tunnel wasn't nearly as bad, so I went back to 2x4 and proceeded to spend another hour on top of that hill cause some other accident had the downside down to 1 lane. But I made it there and back safely... which is all that the tow rig's supposed to do ;Sweet When the truck was working hard, I was running about 2600 rpms just above the L on the stock temp gauge, pushing 11psi solid and between 1100 and 1200* on the pyro. the only thing that was odd was on the backside of the passes when I was engine braking in third, the stock oil pressure gauge would bottom out and it would take a couple miles of pulling again to come back to normal - anyone else had this one? And I burnt/ lost a gallon of oil each way LOL If I had known the dually was going, I would have thrown the zf and the dps pump sittin around here in and rotated the tires and fixed the shift linkage and so on... but it did a great job, considering the situation. And the rover did great too... Here are some pics of the aftermath -

Attachments

• PICT0313.JPG
    PICT0313.JPG
    786.6 KB · Views: 54
  • PICT0314.JPG
    PICT0314.JPG
    780.7 KB · Views: 55
  • PICT0315.JPG
    PICT0315.JPG
    778.5 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT0316.JPG
    PICT0316.JPG
    785.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PICT0317.JPG
    PICT0317.JPG
    781.3 KB · Views: 37
  • PICT0318.JPG
    PICT0318.JPG
    788.9 KB · Views: 63

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang! Don't you know your supposed to idle, and not shut down after such abuse? LOL That thing is a real monster! Does need a bumper though.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
that is one nice daulie;Sweet should build you a bumper like mine:D lol

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 188

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd think I woulda thought of letting it cool off I just didn't want to be there... grrr.... and yes I do need a bumper. I haven't designed anything good yet though - with that shackle flip lift in the front, the amount of space I'm trying to cover is massive

isotel

Reaction score
I Gotta Get my Truck together To Haul my Cruiser to moab in 2 weeks! wish me luck!

You ever run Indy down here in Penrose? We should meet up for a trip at some point!

RedTruck

Reaction score
Neat looking rig. What size tires are you running? Did you have to use spacers? Any information on your front suspension?

I ran across this:

CLicky

The other day. For some reason it seems like with a little black paint that bumper would fit right in on your rig.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd think I woulda thought of letting it cool off I just didn't want to be there... grrr.... and yes I do need a bumper. I haven't designed anything good yet though - with that shackle flip lift in the front, the amount of space I'm trying to cover is massive
thought of a towtruck pushbumper?;p

Attachments

• sd front bumper.jpg
    sd front bumper.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isotel - have fun out there - hopefully the weather treats you better than it did me. I would love to get out around the state and hit up some foreign trails, especially since they closed down carnage canyon (which is basically in my backyard). I'd definitely be down to hit up some trails down your way.

RedTruck - That bumper is getting closer to what I have in mind - something like the bumper I had on my '93, except with a square hoop instead of the round one. That bumper came out real well though ( pics: nvcustoms.com ) also, I had a thread when I was building that front lift, if you search through my posts it shouldn't be too far back...

Towcat - a pushbumper would be tons of fun, but undoubtedly would get me into more trouble then its worth up here in hippieville colorado :) I've definitely thrown around the idea of a big chrome semi bumper too...

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the oil pressure drop when on my motor thing as well.. usually an oil change sort of cures it... steaming at 65, no prob 70% of gauge.. 80, 30% of gauge... climbing hard.. 25-30% of gauge...

Changed oil, never dropped below 50% again.