the big bad oil tank and filtering system

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not too sure about that.id check into it a little more before you end up in alot of trouble over it.with the amount you plan on carrying id make sure it was legal to do so with everything in writing and kept in the truck.better safe than sorry

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember we had a truck with a huge tank on it for refueling the the neighbors custom cutting operation, they never messed with us, but of course we were out cutting constantly so everyone new we were legit. This truck is actually my daily driver or will be once its done. I do know that if I"m going over state lines I need to display a "Farm, Not For Hire" sign

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Its unlikely that you would get hassled about it unless you had a spill... then the fine$ could get ridiculous.

If you do have a spill they will ask how many gallons you had- tell them a number less than 55 and you may be ok.:dunno

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found it

49 CFR Part 173.5 provides limited exceptions from the regulations. The transportation of an
agriculture product to or from a farm, within 150 miles of a farm, is excepted from the requirements
of Emergency Response, Training and specific packaging requirements when:
a) It is transported by a farmer who is an intrastate private motor carrier;
b) The total amount of agriculture product being transported on a single vehicle does not exceed
i) 16,094 pounds of ammonium nitrate fertilizer properly classed as Division 5.1, PG III, in
a bulk packaging, or
ii) 502 gallons for liquids orgases,or5,070poundsforsolids,ofanyotheragriculturalproducts.

also this section

Under §42-20-108.5, C.R.S., the movement of hazardous materials, except for gases, is exempted
from the hazardous materials regulations when transported by an intrastate farmer over local roads
between fields of the same farm. 49 CFR Part 173.6 addresses other specific exemptions for
materials of trade.

If you want to read the whole thing on hazardous materials maybe you guys will find something I missed

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INFORMATION:
Hazardous materials regulations are applicable to farming operations. 49 CFR Part 173.5 and §42-
20-108.5 C.R.S., provide for certain exceptions to their applicability. Intrastate agricultural
operations are exempted from the requirements of the hazardous materials regulations, except for
gases, when transporting the agricultural product over local roads between fields of the same farm.
Gases that are transported over local roads between fields of the same farm are exempted from the
requirements for emergency response information and training.
49 CFR Part 173.5 provides limited exceptions from the regulations. The transportation of an
agriculture product to or from a farm, within 150 miles of a farm, is excepted from the requirements
of Emergency Response, Training and specific packaging requirements when:
a) It is transported by a farmer who is an intrastate private motor carrier;
b) The total amount of agriculture product being transported on a single vehicle does not exceed
i) 16,094 pounds of ammonium nitrate fertilizer properly classed as Division 5.1, PG III, in
a bulk packaging, or
ii) 502 gallons for liquids or gases, or 5,070 pounds for solids, of any other agricultural
products.
c) The movement and packaging of the agricultural product conform to the state requirements;
d) Each person having any responsibility for transporting the agricultural product or preparing
the agricultural product for the shipment has been instructed in the applicable requirements.
NURSE TANKS:
Nurse tanks are considered to be implements of husbandry when they are transporting anhydrous
ammonia and operated by a private carrier exclusively for agricultural purposes. They do not have to
meet the packaging requirements under 49 CFR Part 178. They do, however, have to meet the
requirements set forth within 49 CFR Part 173.315(m).
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS ROUTING:
Farm machinery which is exempted from registration requirements under §42-3-104(3) C.R.S.,
agricultural distribution equipment attached to or conveyed by such farm machinery, or vehicles used
to transport to or from a farm or ranch site products necessary for agricultural production are not
subject to the permitting and routing rules as adopted by the Colorado State Patrol.
This does not
apply if these vehicles are used in the furtherance of any commercial enterprise other than
agriculture.
MATERIALS OF TRADE:
Under §42-20-108.5, C.R.S., the movement of hazardous materials, except for gases, is exempted
from the hazardous materials regulations when transported by an intrastate farmer over local roads
between fields of the same farm. 49 CFR Part 173.6 addresses other specific exemptions for
materials of trade.

the way I read it I can carry about 500 G of liquid as long as I am calling them farm related and not more than 150 miles from a subsidiary farm. A subsidiary farm being just about anyone I know with land in the country.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i had my shop dot asked what i did with the used oil.i said i put it back into the 5 gallon buckets and brought it back to the parts store to be recycled.they told me i couldnt do that as it was considered harzardous waste.even i was runnin a repair plate.

im all for using it for fuel but dont wanna see someone end up in a huge nightmare over it.around here that tank is enough for the cops to pull ya over and check you out.with the centrifuge on the side the way you have it looks like an acetelyne bottle.might be a good idea to check with the local fire dept or a dot cop,but dont bring the truck :sly .

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats crazy they told you ya couldn't bring a five gallon can into be recycled. Must have been cause you were a shop. There is a section in the link you sent about transport haz waste as a private citizen about being able to haul up to 55 gallons. I could just write bio-diesel only on the tank and call it good.

you definitely have me convinced to put a copy of the farm truck rules in the glove box.

That and maybe put a full cover on it instead one of expanded steel. I kinda hate getting pulled over.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had a truck with a 250 gallon transfer tank in the back, never got hassled once, and I didn't even have farm plates. The size of my old tank, and this tank, look very similar. What's the measured capacity of your tank?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Could you tell us what pump you are using and it's specifications?

Do you expect it to pump cold oil?

Thanks.;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a geared pump head at the surplus store for $20 and although I've had a hard time identifying its exact make and specifications its pretty much going to be like any other geared head of the same basic size. It had a 1/3 hp AC motor on it so its even more likely that it is your basic 200~300 psi 100GPH pump. I put a 24 volt 10 amp DC motor on it so it would run off the truck elec system. Should work since its the same power as the old motor.

My bet is it will pump cold oil just fine, the problem with cold oil lies in the filters, There is a heater planned for the system but its not in yet. I'll unlikely be able to effectively filter oil colder than about say 100°F so I painted the tank flat black and I'll also use an inline heater or something like that to help preheat the oil for filtration. Several folks have offered good suggestions so far but I'm still looking.

hope that helps
B

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just scored an old gear pump at a junk shop for $2. When I carried it up to pay, the guy asked me what it was. Then asked my where I found it, because he didn't remember the thing. I hope to find a motor for it, then I'll get the centrifuge. I have a 105 gal tank off a Mack and 6 275 gal plastic cubes for storage.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice, if you go online you can find the same motor I have at http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2518-A&catname= its listed as 1/4 hp 24 VDC 2040 RPM (USED). But 24 volts at 10 amps is 240 watts and 720 watts is one HP so it works out to be 1/3 and the one they sent me looks brand new ( actually I bought two of them ). If I remember they were about $30 each.

best of luck

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at no point would you have more than, say, 250 gallons on board? You're set then for carrying fuel for ag use.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Even farmers have to pay road tax on fuel which I beleive is where the issue will be if he gets stopped and there becomes an issue with the tank. I have ran wvo for years and have tried to look into the laws as I have heard numerous different things but since I'm no lawyer I don't understand all the mumbo jumbo. So my last tank was pretty well hidden but my new tank is gonna be invisible unless you start crawling around under the truck looking for extra fuel lines

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think total fuel on board will come out to be something just under 250 gallons, which should get me through one good road trip

hmmmmm fuel tax, haven't ever been stopped driving one of the farm rigs so I'm not sure, I'll have to look that one up as well. I guess being an old farm kid I just never thought of the law much. They pretty much see farm stuff going down the road and leave us alone. But I'll look into it. From what I can see tho it seems that if its not directly hooked into the trucks fuel system ( which it isn't ) then it can be considered for agricultural use, which brings me back to being exempt, I think. Is a good question that I'll have to dig into some when I get a chance.

Great site guys
some really knowledgeable folks in here
thanks
B