The best new rustless beds?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that has an aluminum bed? What are the best brands and which are ones to stay away from. I have done some research on this subject myself but was wondering if i can get some input from the crowd here too since this would not be a cheap investment but I think it will be a good investment and best of all it will stop the bed from rusting. Thanks!

To the mods.....I consider the fact that this isnt soley IDI related but since our trucks are the oldest and there is always more action here i figured i would have the best chance in this thread.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a steel framed wood flatdeck that I just stained and clearcoated.. looks great! Couple weeks ago we built a nice stepside-esque box for my buddy's F-250 outta steel. Also looks fanstastic.

Any chance you can borrow (or own) a mig welder? I say build your own!

Pipeliner, if your crane goes missing in the middle of the night, don't blame be. Blame my kleptomania.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
I've got a steel framed wood flatdeck that I just stained and clearcoated.. looks great! Couple weeks ago we built a nice stepside-esque box for my buddy's F-250 outta steel. Also looks fanstastic.

Any chance you can borrow (or own) a mig welder? I say build your own!

Pipeliner, if your crane goes missing in the middle of the night, don't blame be. Blame my kleptomania.

I have considered building my own also but it would be a big project and the facilities i have are not exactally ideal although they would do.
I can buy a welder and materials for probably the same price as an aluminum bed and when i get done still have the welder but i guess im just weighing all my options and i am hesitant to start a big project without a lot of input and investigating.
Far as the steel bed goes, I do think it would be nice and last longer than a factory bed and it would definitely be easier for me to build but it will still rust out and that is one thing i cant stand so i am trying not to let the advantages of steel sway me away from going aluminum even though i have definitely thought about it.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Around here steel beds start at $750 and aluminum bed start around $1200.
I dont know if you could actually build your own for what it cost to buy pre-built, by the time you do buy all the materials you'll probably be 80% there on cost. I would have built my own steel bed if I hadn't got such a steal on my aluminum one.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Around here steel beds start at $750 and aluminum bed start around $1200.
I dont know if you could actually build your own for what it cost to buy pre-built, by the time you do buy all the materials you'll probably be 80% there on cost. I would have built my own steel bed if I hadn't got such a steal on my aluminum one.

Yes youre right........."they start at $1200" here too, BUT i dont want just a paper thin, plain jane no sides/toolboxes/lights/goodies bed and when you start adding things youre talking 2500 to $3000 to go out an buy one like i want. I am not for sure that i could build one cheaper but it would be as heavy or heavier than a manufactured bed that is for sure.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
its obviously your call, personally im a steel guy. i am a great stick and mig welder and given the chance i would make one out of steel rather than aluminum any day.

if your only interested in rust prevention dont spend the money on aluminum. a full good paint job, (sanded, primed, sanded, paint, paint, paint, clear, clear, clear, clear) and maintain it all your rotting worries are over.

also steel is a lot more forgiving when you slam scrap steel and heavy parts onto it.

do steel. or steel with wood decking.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Welding one up from aluminum would probably cost as much as buying one.....unless you go used material ;Sweet I love making things out of aluminum and the scrap yards around here have bunches of big stout pieces and it generally goes pretty cheap. We're lucky to have a few manufacturing facilities around here that screw big pieces up fairly regularly, so there's usually a nice selection. If you went that route, you might come out ahead.

------------Robert

sign_man

Reaction score
Just curious, what's rusting out your bed so badly? Road salt? Cow manure? Fertilizer? How are you working this truck, what do you carry?

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Just curious, what's rusting out your bed so badly? Road salt? Cow manure? Fertilizer? How are you working this truck, what do you carry?

sign_man,
The rust in question is the typical rust above the rear wheel wells. Every older truck i have seen around here (OHIO) has this problem due to road salt from the winter time. The bed is structrually sound it just looks like crap.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a pic of my "bondo fender". This was on one of my front fenders.. I chopped all the rust away with a grinder, fiberglasssed the backside, and put a big 'ole heap on bondo on it.

It carved away very quickly with a longboard sander, and the results look terrific! You'd never know it was bondo/fibgerglass. We're talking about a 1' long section that you could poke your finger through!

Although custom boxes are just awesome.