The 99 is smoking again.. Why?!?!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Last Thursday, I installed a new set of AD injectors in the 99 and everything seemed great. Went camping and after around 200 miles, it started smoking again and getting worse.

I have 62PSI fuel pressure at the test port, close to the #1 injector. IPR at idle, is 8% and ICP at idle is 480. It really smokes bad at low RPMs and I have no idea what else to check, not to mention the serious lack of funds.

The fuel I'm running is about 95% diesel, so I know the oil isn't too thick in the fuel.

If anyone has any ideas I can try, please let me know..

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
I wish I could help but I am subscribing to this one. 62 psi at the fuel port sounds normal to me, but then again what do I know I'm just a kid.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Here's a little update...

Yesterday, I decided to try using the Evo tuner on the truck. I've had the truck tuned for towing and that's when it started smoking. I then tried it on the race tune and it still smoked. It smoked worse, when I put it back to stock.

When I got off work yesterday, I changed the tune to the Evo's extreme tune. I've only tried it once before, and didn't like the EGT spiking like it did.

Anyway... Once I was done tuning it, I left. The truck would roll coal at the drop of a hat! I didn't even need much throttle. I must have left a cloud of thick black smoke for at least a half a mile. Once that was over with, the truck stopped smoking completely. I could make it roll coal if I wanted to, but I was enjoying it not smoking for a change. I put 36 miles on it, coming home from work yesterday and another 75 miles today. That's about 110 miles, smoke free. It does still have a small bit of smoke at idle, but I'm used to that from both trucks anyway. It's nothing like the light gray clouds of smoke it was making!

If it starts it again, I'll report back.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
That's interesting. So you're using the Edge Evo? It sounds more than anything like the IDM is not talking to the PCM properly if it smokes worse at idle. I could be wrong with that assumption there though.

My 97 used to have a light haze to it before I put the TS on there and it fixed that and pretty much every problem I thought I had with the tranny. But I think in my case my PCM is messed up to some degree.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
I know they call PCM's "dinosaurs" and I guess in a way the technology is compared to what is other there today, but it doesn't sound right the smoke that you are having. But then again I could be wrong.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id be looking for a boost leak.gray is unburnt fuel.your pressure readings are in the normal range.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
id be looking for a boost leak.gray is unburnt fuel.your pressure readings are in the normal range.

Thanks Rich... I'll check into it.. The truck does have great boost numbers.. A lot better than the 97's!

I now have around 225 miles on it, since I put the extreme tune in it. It started smoking again today. It seems as if ~200 miles is the magic number, for it to start smoking. I'm wondering if it could be the PCM or IDM somehow..

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i doubt its the pcm or idm.is it skipping?when its smoking does it have a knock at idle?check all the IC boots.take them off and clean any oil inside them and on the IC pipes.make sure they are good and tight.could be poppin one off just enough to cause a leak but really shouldnt be a problem at idle though.could also be a bad injector.ive had many rebuilt injectors that were bad out of the box.had a couple crack nozzles with only a few hundred miles on them.one melted a piston on me :eek:-cuss

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Ok get ready for a stupid question. Why would a boost leak at idle cause the white/grey haze smoke? Doesn't the truck not have boost running through it at idle? Again probably not one of my better questions, but I don't understand.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok get ready for a stupid question. Why would a boost leak at idle cause the white/grey haze smoke? Doesn't the truck not have boost running through it at idle? Again probably not one of my better questions, but I don't understand.

yes and no.at idle there is no boost.but at idle the turbo is still pushing more air than the engine can suck on its own.mine smokes a bit when my intercooler tubes are disconnected.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
yes and no.at idle there is no boost.but at idle the turbo is still pushing more air than the engine can suck on its own.mine smokes a bit when my intercooler tubes are disconnected.

Ok now that makes sense. Man I felt like a moron asking that, but I'm glad I did! Thank you for the explanation.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I ran some test runs, with the scanner hooked up and learned a lot! Under load and at WOT, the ICP would quickly drop from 2,800PSI to 1,089PSI. I ordered a TE modded 17* HPOP and installed it today. I didn't order it with an IPR and figured I would use the IPR seal kit I already had. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the kit!

I found some O-rings at NAPA and put them on the IPR. They worked like a charm. The HPO pump install went off, without a hitch. No leaks, ran rough for about 10 minutes and cleared right up. The truck is still smoking though and I think I found out why.

I tried saving some money and bought a glowshift fuel pressure gauge. It read correctly, when I had the FPR shimmed to 62PSI. It did NOT read correctly, when under load. According to that gauge, the pressure never went below 50PSI under load. It started acting screwey, so I replaced it with a better gauge. Not the most expensive gauge I could buy, but I'm still paying back the loan I got for the new set of injectors.

With the new gauge, pressures are a lot different. I still had the 62PSI at idle, but any throttle would make it drop quickly. Under load, it went down as far as 5PSI. I didn't let it stay that low and limped the truck home. I replaced the fuel pump, with a pump I had bought for an OBS e-fuel conversion and shimmed the FPR to 70PSI. This time, the pressure didn't drop nearly as fast. I did drop to just under 30PSI at WOT and I backed out of it when it did. Thinking I had a fuel restriction, I replaced the fuel filter. The filter was not the restriction.

Evidently, I either have a fuel restriction somewhere, or another bad fuel pump. The old pump was quite noisy and I could hear it bog down, when it got up to 62PSI. The pump I installed this evening is a lot more quiet, but I can also hear it bog down, when it gets up to pressure.

With the low fuel pressure I have been running unknowingly, I think I've gone and hosed yet another set of injectors.. Unfortunately, there is no possible way for me to be able to afford another set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online