The 50 mile commuter...

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are going to test the Honda Insight hybrid tonight. I really want all electric because it just makes the most sense. However, the truck will be my daily driver for next couple of months :)

Last edited:

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the time you replace the clutch, timing belt and hpfp, you are looking at a $12k...

Nonsense. Be reasonable.

~$750 for an upgraded clutch (I installed bigger injectors and a chip, otherwise at 200,000 miles the clutch was still fine) + install + a bunch of other stuff while he was in there
~$800 for timing belt parts and labor, injector upgrade labor, and some AC parts and labor at the same time.
Had my pump resealed for less than $200, they last a long time. A quick look, $1,400 for a reman and installation is pretty simple.

A Jetta is a complete car, roomy and functional, and the Mk4s are pretty comfortable. It's no Geo tin can. They have pretty much depreciated as far as they are going to, as well. I watch craigslist in my area constantly. They haven't gotten any cheaper in several years. Maybe when a lot of new small diesels hit the market, they will finally drop a touch more...

Diesel is the "future" that VW has had here for over a decade (longer if go back to the IDIs).

Tim.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having come from overseas, I can tell you that even in Europe diesel is really not the future.... Diesel price is about $2/L.. That's $7.4 per gallon, and going up. In some areas in Europe, it's twice that. The Euros can make a very limited quantity of bio, because it is heavily regulated. If anything, Europe is looking at ELECTRIC and CNG. I come from a very populated area in Europe, and it's not fun to be around or even in traffic when every car around you is diesel! The electric is really the way to go, as long as you can produce your electricity on the cheap, and not by burning coal.

Unfortunately, electric cars only shift the problem from oil to the grid. Something has to give, but having variety is always good.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had 5 VW Golf tdi diesels and one tdi wagon, all 2004 models. I still kick my self in the ass for selling them cheap when the lease ended. They were nice cars but not without problems. We also had several Audis and some other varieties of VW's and the biggest problem with them was they were very expensive to repair and maintain.

If I was in the market for a commuter, I would buy an old Rabbit diesel in a second, if I could find one. Having owned an 80 and 81 model many years ago, they were excellent cars.
I'm just not a fan of any electronic diesel, so the tdi just doesnt quite do it for me.
I think my second vehicle of choice for a commuter vehicle would be an old Mercedes.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go look at a Chevy Spark, a friend of mine just leased one in Portland for $199/month, pretty small downpayment too. I don't want one, but it's a pretty good deal if you are looking at just driving one for three years, saving a bunch of fuel, and turning it back in.

I like the Fusion Hybrid too, but if you're looking for straight electric that one is out.

Good luck whichever way you end up going: I agree its nice to have options ;Sweet

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I did not realize you were looking for new and leasing. In the case of a lease I might consider an electric but as far as long term ownership...never. As said before they are worthless by the time they reach a few years old or so and not only that you have corrosion, oxidation, batteries which from what I have read will never even dream of lasting 10 years under heavy use a more realistic estimate is probably 2, nutless, all of them I have seen are tin cans that would barely survive a love tap in a parking lot, complicated as hell to work on, expensive to work on. And after all of that you have the problem of range.

If I even consider buying a newer vehicle I woul have to plan on it lasting me well over 5 years nearly troublefree and I just cant see something all electronic doing that. And I work on electronics in cnc's everyday.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Europes diesel prices are high only because they tax the living ehll out of it. But every show I watch overseas shows pristine roads so I guess there is a *bit* of a bright side. Electrics make better sense over there anyways due to how close everything is together.

If I were to live in Europe in a populated area, electric isn't to bad of a thought. But I am making 250+ mile drives all the time to visit relatives here in Tejas so they are out of the question.

I don't know if I posted but an all electric car has a cost/mile of aroubd $.035-.04/ mile. My TDI on a good day is about $.075/mile, but has been averaging around $.090-.094/mile due to my commute.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Out west we have a big push happening to convert most of us into electric car drivers. In my office of 15 we have 4 individuals who drive electric cars.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolaler...es-zero-emission-cars-defends-oil-policy.html

My primary concern since I work in the energy demand sector of the economy, is power availability and reliability. I really do think that a high margin of people who buy these cars and brag about "It only takes me $3 a night to charge my car" have no idea where electricity comes from, how it's made, distributed, consumed. I am constantly irked by the "zero emissions" charge they claim since a very small percentage of the electricity we produce in California actually comes from "zero emissions" sources (wind,hydro,solar) Out here most of our power comes from natural gas, with some portion nuclear (well, less now that San Onofre is gone)

The math is pretty straightforward-
1,500,000 vehicles (CA mandate by 2025) x 24 kWH each for a full charge (assuming nissan leaf published data) = 36,000,000 kWH every night to charge all those vehicles. Assuming they all charge in roughly 8 hours, that means the instantaneous load on the grid will be (36,000,000 / 8) = 4,500,000 kW or 4,500 MW.

Yes, that's right, 4,500 MW, or roughly 4 nuclear power plants.

Where is all that "clean" energy going to come from? Not nuclear (thats a bad, bad word out here) but instead natural gas. That's the only thing left. There's no way wind/solar/hydro can be brought up to that level (actually, hydro is bad out here too, too many fish kills.)

:dunno

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree.. The grid needs to catch up.... No such thing as free energy... If we can only focus our attention into developing better means of harvesting alternative energy, instead of finding more holes to drill..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alternative energy is realistically several decades away from being able to actually come close to supporting this nation.

But that's a debate for another time.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In deed... supply versus demand versus the cost. It's cheaper to dig coal; bury fuel rods; drill holes.. Demand for cheaper energy trumps the supply of expensive harvesting. Another thread, perhaps?

What else should I do to the truck? The black on black 2011 BMW 335d is really calling my name....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You have no idea how bad I want a 335D. The hotrod of diesel cars without a doubt. Supposedly with a tune, and some decent tires they can run high 12's...and deleted get 45mpg highway.

BMW doesn't make the 335d anymore (3.0 inline 6 TD), they do a 3 series and 5 series diesel now, but now the 3 series gets a 2.0l diesel (180hp) while the 5 series gets the 3.0. You can get both in AWD as well...But talk about big money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14D89yaupws&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Or I want to build one of these.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=datGmLYtzsQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online