Thanks Nick!!!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Went down to Nick's shop(Double S Diesel) the last two Saturdays. Last week we installed the sonnax valve, tricumulator springs, and gauges. Yesterday we installed the Baby Swamps, SD double belt tensioner mod, new Gp's and GP relay, and the road draft tube(back to rear axle). Nick let me use his tools and experience to do the grunt/dirty work, while he took care of the stuff I was nervous/uneducated about. I know I wouldn't have done most of this stuff with out his help. THANKS NICK!!!! I'll be getting a chip as soon as funds allow, but for now Daddy's happy. Smokem if you got'em

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSD's arent all that bad to wrench on are they. You'll crap when you get your chip in.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSD's arent all that bad to wrench on are they.

IMHO they are easier than the IDI since I've taken the ummm advance PSD repair coursecookoo , learning curve isn't bad and once you remove the intercooler piping, unhook the sensor wiring, unbolt the alternator and peel off that top layer of wiring everything else is pretty easy to get at.;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me 'n Russ have the OBS, they're even easier yet.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
PSD's arent all that bad to wrench on are they. You'll crap when you get your chip in.

Yep The only thing we have to fear...
I still have some part throttle goofy shifting going on, but I may talk to Jody and see if he can fix it with a program or if I have to look for something else.

We started about 9:30 am had the injectors swapped, by lunch time, took a long lunch, fired it up, Nick swapped in the new tensioner, while I ran the RDT. Nick finished installing the gauges, while I changed the oil, Took it out for a couple of shake down runs, :) Then popped in the Hypermax, took it out for another run.:D ate dinner, did a few burnouts:peelout then headded for home.:smoke:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me 'n Russ have the OBS, they're even easier yet.

I can't confirm nor deny that, I'll figure that out some day on GEOs truck I'm sure, but I have so much room under the hood of the stuperdupy it's insane....Was able to pull the engine without removing the hood, AC condenser or exhaust manifolds with the up pipes still attached and the turbo was very easy to take off.

Advice from Nick has been helping along the way too, Thanks.

I don't care what anybody says about ya Nick:D, You're OK in my book;Sweet

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what? you didnt have to pull the cab off? how about the tailgate? gee i thought you had to completely disassemble an SD just to change the oil:rolleyes:

:D

oh yeah russ how she run now? do i need to mod to keep up yet?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't confirm nor deny that, I'll figure that out some day on GEOs truck I'm sure, but I have so much room under the hood of the stuperdupy it's insane....

Us OBS'ers have even more room than you. Lack of an IC makes topside engine access a breeze and we have easier access to the rear of the engine too since the cab doesnt encroach as far forward like the SD does.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what? you didnt have to pull the cab off? how about the tailgate? gee i thought you had to completely disassemble an SD just to change the oil:rolleyes:

:D

Just a myth started by those trolls in the basemen..........

oh wait, youre one o'them..........:eek:

:rotflmao

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Sweet Russ... My question is the same as Rob's... how much more money do I need to spend to keep from seeing your tailgate?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Man the way some people **** and moan you think it was the hardest thing in the world to work on, don't have to pull the tranny or lift the cab either it has 1" it can slide back on the mount which is perfect. BTW, I can't even open the tailgate much less take it off with the broken latch:D

IMHO it was one of the easiest engine pulls I have done in years, last one I pulled was a 4.3 out of an S10 and it was a %$^$*%$&(-cuss

You must be registered for see images attach

Us OBS'ers have even more room than you. Lack of an IC makes topside engine access a breeze and we have easier access to the rear of the engine too since the cab doesnt encroach as far forward like the SD does.

That makes sense

Sweet Russ... My question is the same as Rob's... how much more money do I need to spend to keep from seeing your tailgate?

Not enough if you start giving it to "Fort Wayne's Finest":backoff How fast can you pedal???

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score

Trav, NO worries there. cookoo
Rob, better sell that IDI and make a few phone calls ;Sweet

In all reality though, these 3:55's don't do much for the "seat of the pants" HOLY SH*T factor. but it does run much better.

Last night on the way home I was cruising along at 70mph(2000rpm) and a guy in a small SUV blows by me (cutting me off in the process) doing, I guess 100-110mph. So.... not to be undone. he was about 200 yards ahead when I decided to see if I could catch him. After about 30 sec or so, I came to my senses and decided my life was not worth the playing catch up. Running with the needle pegged, at 10pm, on salt dusted roads, with below freezing temps= not a real smart move. (but I did manage to close the gap a little.) :D

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
still needs just a little to keep up to mine. of coures with them 355,s anyhting over 80 and ya got me.

definatley need a chip then hold on.

Rob
garage bays open, I even have a few go fast goodies layin around for a SD.

Tonkadoctor
Ive owned and worked on both
can say Ive spent more time under my OBS than my 00
but the 00 has ran better than any of my obs trucks
some things are easier on one vrs the other , some things are harder.
heck while your engine is out I could give ya a whole list of up grades / maintenace things that are much easier to do with the engine out.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heck while your engine is out I could give ya a whole list of up grades / maintenace things that are much easier to do with the engine out.

Oh I can spend money fine all by myself, thanks:D ....Always open to ideas.

Gonna do a few extra maintenance things while it's out, mostly seals both needed and preventative, CCV mod, rebuild the turbo, Banks wheel & balanced, rear main seal, injector O-rings, HPOP rebuild...Was gonna gut the CAT but it doesn't have one:D Prolly gonna send the PCM to Jody for the 80 HP econo tune...Will talk to him first for his thoughts on a basicly stock truck that doesn't get used very hard and rarely tows anything.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
TD between this post and the other looks like ya got it covered and then some
as for mods
now is the time for the regulated fuel system, especially if you run hard steel lines like stock instaed of the flexy lines.
also a little easier to do the hx line.
also changing the DP is alot easier
thats actaully about it.
as for gettin a cpu tune IMHO wait until its runnin right.
nuthing worse than chasing a problem on a modified tune, CPU lies to the scan tool.
for instance with my chip mass fuel desired stays at 10 on the scan tool.
Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726