Terrible MPG after new IP install,

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say +1 on those injectors, if they are that old they probably are worn out. If nothing else, worn injectors and a new pump or worn pump and new injectors definitely changes the timing. Not advocating outright replacement just saying you should test them if you can.

friend has a pop tester on his shop bench, if i find the time next week maybe i`ll have a look at them.

Hopfully the timing will fix my problems, I dont want to buy new injectors when I am most likely taking out a loan for my cummins swap/truck make over this spring.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are doing a Cummins swap huh? That's probably the only way you won't have to touch those bolts again, sorry to say, cause they really are in a bad place. If you only need a few to get you by for a few months you might ask around here, somebody might be willing to help a brother out with some good/used or cheap ones.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a day off and did my timing today, holy **** what a difference that makes. It sure did wake up my truck. Hopefully I'll notice a pretty good improvement in my mileage now, that is if I can keep my foot out of it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little makes a big difference. You probably where at about 5 or 6 degrees BTDC as measured with pulse and are now within the recommended range. 8.5+-2 degrees.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm quite familiar with BD/valley fuel. The only reason I will set foot in there shop is for dyno day.
I might actually retard it about a chisels width, she was a royal sloot to get started over this morning, im blaming that on the timing since it was not an issue before i advanced it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I find that when the timing is further advanced, I depress the throttle LESS during cranking because there is the timing advance cam/plunger on the IP that advances timing further as you depress the throttle.

Currently, I get best cold start results when throttle is half way down. When the timing was retarded, I got best results with foot to the floor.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm quite familiar with BD/valley fuel. The only reason I will set foot in there shop is for dyno day.
I might actually retard it about a chisels width, she was a royal sloot to get started over this morning, im blaming that on the timing since it was not an issue before i advanced it.

OH Ok guess you don't like em much. OK on that note, I hope I can get ready for the dyno this fall!

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll try that then, I usually start it with no throttle but after cranking for longer then normal this morning i put my foot to the floor and she turned over and billowed white smoke for a few seconds.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now take that improvement you saw, and add twice that much to get an idea of what new injectors and an IP would do for you. ;Sweet

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mel, I replaced my IP about 6 weeks ago, i was quite disappointed by the performance at the time but im blaming that on poor timing. Now, with the timing bumped up shes running like she should, although I doubt im gonna spring for new injectors since im swapping the motor at some point this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online