Temp acting weird...

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gents. So past couple days my water temp gauge has been weird. Normally it never moves above 190. Even when I've towed heavy I barely goes above 190. But for the past couple days it's been moving around between 185-190. The thermostat is the motocraft one everyone recommends and is only about a month old. The water pump is Napa brand and less than a year old. Any thoughts? I know 195 ain't danger zone... But it's still concerning.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The t-stat opens between 190-195. Where's your temp gauge probe? I pulled a pipe plug in the head on the driver's side of mine for the mechanical coolant probe and typically hit 200*, drop to 190*, then back up, etc.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rides right around 195*-210* running hard, 185-195* light running. I took out the idiot light gauge and put my mechanical gauge probe in it's place right off the head. Think your good to go.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had some weird issues a while back, turned out to be my gauge.
before you do anything get a real gauge in there

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Mine rides right around 195*-210* running hard, 185-195* light running. I took out the idiot light gauge and put my mechanical gauge probe in it's place right off the head. Think your good to go.

That’s where I put my electric gauge probe. I have the gauge on the dash in front of me (well, to the left a bit) so I didn’t want to risk 190+ degree coolant in my face if it ever blew a mechanical line.

Mine runs about 190-192 without excess strain. I’ve seen it climb to 200 but quickly drop to 190 when getting on the freeway (so harder acceleration for longer), dropping quickly presumably when the thermostat opens.

I have yet to really see how hot it gets pulling my ~4500lb 27’ Aluma-Lite travel trailer. The claimed weight is about 3900 I think.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my temp from a real gauge that's installed where the idiot light probe used to be. Thanks for the info guys. I just got kinda concerned since it used to hang out right at 190 but lately has been moving a bit more .

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s where I put my electric gauge probe. I have the gauge on the dash in front of me (well, to the left a bit) so I didn’t want to risk 190+ degree coolant in my face if it ever blew a mechanical line.

Mine runs about 190-192 without excess strain. I’ve seen it climb to 200 but quickly drop to 190 when getting on the freeway (so harder acceleration for longer), dropping quickly presumably when the thermostat opens.

I have yet to really see how hot it gets pulling my ~4500lb 27’ Aluma-Lite travel trailer. The claimed weight is about 3900 I think.

No coolant goes to the gauge so you don't have to worry about it hitting ya. It uses a thermocouple wire not a tube like the oil pressure. Little more reliable than electronic in my opinion.

Yeah the sudden drop is when the t-stat opens.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No coolant goes to the gauge so you don't have to worry about it hitting ya. It uses a thermocouple wire not a tube like the oil pressure. Little more reliable than electronic in my opinion.

Yeah the sudden drop is when the t-stat opens.

When he said that I was confused lol. Mine is mechanical with a thermocouple and the little gas tube .

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ahhh, I thought it actually went into the tube to the gauge like oil pressure does. Oh well, I have what I have.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, I thought it actually went into the tube to the gauge like oil pressure does. Oh well, I have what I have.

Not saying electronic gauges are bad. There damn sure better than the factory ones, I just prefer mechanical. But electronic are easier to install, had to drill a 7/8 hole in the fire wall just to get the probe and plug through...

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI when my 7.3 turbo was being used for equipment transports I would regularly see 235 on my mechanical gauge. That’s about the upper limit I’d say anything over 240 you want to start backing off or turning on heaters.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI when my 7.3 turbo was being used for equipment transports I would regularly see 235 on my mechanical gauge. That’s about the upper limit I’d say anything over 240 you want to start backing off or turning on heaters.

Ya. I'm always a bit on the overcautious side... Especially since, like many of us here, I depend on my truck to earn a living. If the temps ever did start going up, I would probably back off at like 230 or maybe even slightly before I hit that. Best be safe than sorry!