Teflon coated pistons....

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i was wondering what the advantages to teflon coating is, on my friend's IH 392 he had teflon coated pistons and my friend is sending the pistons for his pulling Farmall M tractor to get coated. i noticed the new pistons for my 6.9 are not coated, is it worth it? i think it's only $25 a piston to have it done, i was told it'll reduce friction and free up a few ponies. anyone else have it done?:confused:

thanks,
-Jon

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
its done allot in the import tuner world of turbocharged gasoline engines.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to get them coated go with ceramic. It'll help protect against a meltdown from high EGT's. That's what it's used for on turbo gasoline engines to help keep the pistons cool. It reflects the heat rather than letting the aluminum absorb it.

Make sure you do your research on the vendor you choose. Coatings that are improperly applied on parts that aren't prepped exactly right will burn off in a combustion chamber rather quickly. When done right they have been proven to work.

Less heat absorbed into pistons = more heat out exhaust to spool turbo earlier.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what the advantages to teflon coating is, on my friend's IH 392 he had teflon coated pistons and my friend is sending the pistons for his pulling Farmall M tractor to get coated. i noticed the new pistons for my 6.9 are not coated, is it worth it? i think it's only $25 a piston to have it done, i was told it'll reduce friction and free up a few ponies. anyone else have it done?:confused:

thanks,
-Jon
You'll find various coatings available for pistons along with other engine parts.

Primarily for pistons you'll see Ceramic coating of the piston dome to increase heat resistance (aka thermal barrier), then some go the step further by coating the skirt of the piston with a teflon or teflon like coating to decrease friction.

check here http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=8537&catid=19694 a few examples...just google piston coatings and you'll come up with tons of answers...and myths too.

There is also an under dome coating and for the life of me I cannot recall what it's about!

Doh age settling in along with that Disease CRAFT Can't Remember A Friggen Thing:eek: :rolleyes:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
another thing i was thinking with ceramic coating, is there a difference between this piston coating then the stuff they use on headders? i was thinking of mabe sending the turbo up-pipes and manifolds to help reduce under-hood temps. any suggestions? i'll have to call to see if they coat them too.

-Jon

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Teflon coating is done on the piston skirts not the tops, ceramic can be done on the tops not the whole piston.

Teflon coated skirts has been done for years...... heck, Briggs & Stratton even does it on their engines.

Advantages of teflon coated skirts is less wear on the cylinder bores and the sides of the pistons from rocking back and forth while going up and down with the rods pulling on them side to side........ did that make sence:confused: LOL

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
thanks tonka, already figured the piston part out, just gotta get them torn down and sent out. what i'm wondering now is if it's the same ceramic that's applied to headders (etc), i'd like to get the manifolds and up pipes done.

-Jon

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help. Here is the exhaust manifolds and downpipe that are on my BMW. These pictures are prior to installation.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

They are ceramic coated inside and out for 2 reasons. Inside to keep the heated, expanding gases moving towards the turbine with less heat absorbtion into the piping and outside to help control underhood temps.

So in short, yes it would be a good idea. I was just picture happy this morning.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
haha nice pictures...;Sweet ... ok i'm not afraid to spend the $$ to get it done if it's going to help (heat and power). did you send it to a place that JUST does exhaust, or can they do pistons too?

-Jon

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truth be told I had them done by the manifold manufacturer. I don't know who his vendor is. He is a friend and I could find out for you if you'd like. His business is solely turbocharging BMW's so he has dealt with ceramic coated pistons before. In one case that I know of the customer had the exhaust ports of their head ceramic coated. He's located in Dayton Ohio. Vendor cold be ?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different products for the internal and external parts.

Here's a link to a coating manufacturer. This should answer most of your questions about specialty coatings.

Techline Coatings

Piston coating

Other articles here too so look around.

They carry some coatings for professional shop use and do have some retail packaged products for the DIY crowd too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have the Tech Line ceramic coating on my piston tops. They will only sell it to a shop they know will install it proberly plus its really bad stuff to breath. Its the CBX type that they offer. Call thenm and ask for a coating catalog. Lots of great info in it.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try www.Moorepower.com
I had them coat an exhaust pipe for my ATV and it turned out awesome. Here are some before and after pictures. They can coat any type of metal including pistons for $15 each. It took about 3 weeks for them to coat the ATV pipe and cost $60 including shipping.

Attachments

• Exhaust1.JPG
    Exhaust1.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 12
  • New Exhaust3.JPG
    New Exhaust3.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 16

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i was looking at the pistons for my friends tractor, the skirt coating looked really light and the top where the ceramic eas looked thin. granted i know it'll mess with clearances if it's thick but i see spots where the ceramic is scuffed off....won't that make hot spots? and every teflon coating on the skirts i've seen has been really black and you could see a good lip edge. :dunno

mabe i worry too much...LOL anybody have theirs done, suggestiond on a GOOD shop to do it?

i also e-mailed JET-HOT, we'll see what they can do for my manifolds and up-pipes!! ;Sweet

-Jon

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my own with techline products. here is a pic or 2. Second pic is where if wouldnt stick. the shops may not do used pistons for this reason

Attachments

• 2005-05-29 017.jpg
    2005-05-29 017.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2005-05-29 019.jpg
    2005-05-29 019.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert